i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz Question/Vcore 1.088

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
hey, i`just overclocked my "i5-4690k" to 4.2GHz on 1.088vCore

Motherboard im using is "MSI Z97 Gaming 3" , is this actualy good vCore for that Clock?
i run some tests on AIDA64 , to see if system is stable , affter 10min , seems like Temps are 55-61c , on 100%

For cpu cooling i use , Air cooling "be quiet pure rock slim bk008"

https://imgur.com/a/bMcps

p.s I`m trying to push vCore lower , at 1.050 vCore i got BSOD , so i think sweet spot is around 1.060 - 1.080 @ 4.2GHz . Or is just a silicone lottery ?? what are your thoughts about these chips??

Solution
Nothing wrong with the clock/temps on that voltage and your cooler. But if it was me I'd keep the tests going for an hour or so, sometimes 3 when I feel I'm closer to my optimal settings, to give a better idea of stability. Some would argue to test for more or less and people do go back and forth about it, but I found 1 or 2 hours to be suitable for finding good ground for stability. Prime95 (v26.6) ran on small fft's will give you an idea too as well as Intel XTU. If you do use prime95 on your processor make sure you use version 26.6 only, can't emphasise that enough. Later versions of Prime95 are not so kind to the 4690k.

As far as the chip itself goes, it's one of my favourites. My personal build used to have the 4690k in it for a...

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Nothing wrong with the clock/temps on that voltage and your cooler. But if it was me I'd keep the tests going for an hour or so, sometimes 3 when I feel I'm closer to my optimal settings, to give a better idea of stability. Some would argue to test for more or less and people do go back and forth about it, but I found 1 or 2 hours to be suitable for finding good ground for stability. Prime95 (v26.6) ran on small fft's will give you an idea too as well as Intel XTU. If you do use prime95 on your processor make sure you use version 26.6 only, can't emphasise that enough. Later versions of Prime95 are not so kind to the 4690k.

As far as the chip itself goes, it's one of my favourites. My personal build used to have the 4690k in it for a few years and I absolutely love the chip. So much so that I made other builds for my friends with those chips in it amd I'd still recommend it if you can get it cheap enough. Smooth, solid and reliable; served me well. It's a great chip.

Solution

Ran mine at 1.4v for 2 years without any issues. Only after my 5GHz adventures at 1.5v could it no longer hold 4.8GHz stable, though that could have also been my cheapo motherboards vrms frying.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Given that OP uses air cooling I wouldn't recommend going to 1.3v at all. Couple that with the fact he can OC to 4.2ghz @1.088v, albeit with a short test, a voltage of 1.25v and above slightly should be enough to establish how far he can go with air cooling on that CPU if he wants to without producing unnecessary heat.

Remember OP, everyone's chip is different and where advice and knowledge is good, you'll only know what's good for your chip by finding your own limits and what is comfortable for you when overclocking.

Good luck!