i5 4690K@4.3 GHz@1.075V

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Temp is 68 degrees C after 1.75 hours in Prime. Temp in the room is maybe 65 F/18 C. (Heater would start working at that level. I may be wrong, but it would start a few degrees above the current temp, right? I turned it off right away, though I may turn it on when its really cold, for the night. I put a good piece of cardboard to cover the case.)

Am I good, or anybody had better results, or do I have really bad results? How long to run Prime95?

I know some people say 24 hours, other may even say 48 hours, while there are people who say 20 minutes is enough. I had BSODs after 20 minutes, or even right after computer started, on extremely low volts, like, 1.025. I raised 1.055->1.075. It may take a lot of time to find the sweet spot, so I may eventually try that some time later, or better not to?

I'll be using it to play bf1/v (hopefully on Ultra) and other games, probably some Blender, and may, I MAY do a few things in Unreal Engine. So do I need to run it for 6 hours, 9 hours, 12, or 24? Or to go crazy and 48 hours? I read that after 13+ hours it was fine, but crashed in mid-game. At what point can I say I will have no problems?

Specs are:
i5 4690K@4.3 GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
Noctua NH-D15S

Want to leave some headroom, as it gets super warm in the summer. But by that time I think I'll disable OC and get back to stock speeds. Or lower it to much safer temps.

P.S. found on Overclockers.com (or .net) that I need to set uncore to x33. Done that as well.

Solution
If 68c is the temp you're getting while stress testing then that's perfectly fine.
24 hour Prime small FFTs is a good stress test for the CPU.

I've recently started adding a 12 hour blend and AIDA64 stress tests for when i do OCing as i've found i could run small FFTs for 30+ hours but then fail a blend test within 4 hours.
These instabilities are usually Memory or IMC related and adjusting Memory voltage and CPU secondary voltages (SA, Analog/Digital I/O) to get the blend test running stable.

You can work out what your summer temps are going to be.
If your ambient increases by 10c then your CPU temp will do the same.
After about 15 mins you will have seen the max temps Prime95 will give you. For a gaming system I say an hour is more than any game would do. Most 4690K will do 4.6GHz, but you've got a low voltage going. You could go higher with both speed and voltage.

*Edit: Why uncore to 33? Once you get a stable core speed, you should try to match the uncore and ring to the core or at least get as close as you can while remaining stable.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
If 68c is the temp you're getting while stress testing then that's perfectly fine.
24 hour Prime small FFTs is a good stress test for the CPU.

I've recently started adding a 12 hour blend and AIDA64 stress tests for when i do OCing as i've found i could run small FFTs for 30+ hours but then fail a blend test within 4 hours.
These instabilities are usually Memory or IMC related and adjusting Memory voltage and CPU secondary voltages (SA, Analog/Digital I/O) to get the blend test running stable.

You can work out what your summer temps are going to be.
If your ambient increases by 10c then your CPU temp will do the same.

Solution

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Well, in games I will not have 68 degrees anyways, right? That is what I do 99% of the time - game and watch videos/surf the web/other light tasks. Changing uncore - just like I said, I read that specifically for Gigabyte motherboards, I need to set it to x33. I can provide the link as soon as I get done witht the stress test, in about 20 minutes. Will be 2:45 since stress test start time, I think it should be enough. (Currently using smartphone to ask here)

Upd
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1411077-haswell-overclocking-guide-statistics.html
(I mean, Devil's Canyon is based off of Haswell, right?)

Browsing the web while stress testing is a good way to find any instability. If it's stable it will be fine.

*Update: I read the link about uncore at x33. It says that to avoid having it ramp up to x40. But like I said I'd want to match uncore with core unless I was in a competition where the highest core speed won the prize. Oh, and your 4690K is stock at 3.5GHz so you would do x35 if you wanted to follow them.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Good point. But too late.

Anyways, if you have any sort of notes, please let me know, and I will read them tomorrow. Otherwise, I will leave it as is.

Update

I am new to OC, so if you say I should raise it, I will. I have no idea about the uncore. Should I change my voltage then as well? Is uncore voltage on auto fine?

TRENDING THREADS