Question i5 4690K alternative for virtualization

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I use my pc mainly for virtualization and some gaming(no FPS, more civilization like games). I got 32gb of memory but i am noticing the cpu is the bottleneck. Am using 4 to 8 virtual machines simultaniously.
Beause of that, i would like to replace the CPU. Anyone who can advice a cpu that is available for this three years old(at least it is to me) mainboard(asus H97-plus) and will suit my virtualization needs?

many thanks.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
the top CPU for that MB is a 4790K, which has four cores, but, 8 threads...

Naturally, anything more modern will require a new MB, CPU, and RAM (DDR4)

many thanks for the reply. Noticed that cpu is still very expensive and i dont want to purchased a 232nd hand cpu(although they are around 200).
I dont want to say a new build is not an option, but this one is around 3 years old . Also, i am not sure what to get these days.

The only options for that motherboard that are an improvement are 4770/4770k/4790/4790k. Agree dropping any decent amount of money on obsolete hardware is difficult to justify which then leaves moving to a modern cpu/motherboard/RAM.

The 4690k was realeased 5 years ago and a year later was replaced with 6th generation from Intel using a new socket and DDR4 RAM. If you bought the 4690k 3 years ago then unfortunately you bought into a motherboard and RAM that had already been superseded and with little upgrade path.

Last edited:

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I have a 4770k and regularly fire up 6 or 7 VM machines, and game at the same time. No problems.

Getting a second hand 4770k/4790k is going to be around $200 USD. Getting a 9th Gen set-up is going to be way over $1000 USD.

Your options [which I think you know] are: CPU swap; New platform Intel or AMD.

The choice is yours. If I were you, I would search Aliexpress and ebay for a 4770K or 4790k and if the price is good, I'd try it out. You can sell you i5 also which makes the price/gamble factor make even more sense. If that doesn't perform for you, then the choice is new system, but at least you tried.

Reactions: enkidoe
While this CPU is a first generation Threadripper and getting older it is also fairly cheap for the capability you are getting and you have an upgrade path to the 2nd generation or perhaps even the 3rd generation Threadripper from AMD once you decide you need to upgrade again and you would be able to upgrade to these newer CPU's without changing your motherboard, RAM, CPU Cooler and Case. This system provides a CPU with 12 cores and 24 threads, 32GB of reasonably fast DDR4 memory, a large AIO watercooler and a new case assuming your current case is unable to mount a 360mm liquid cooling radiator.

Like its been said its going to cost you around a $1000 USD for this upgrade assuming you reuse some of your existing components like a discrete video card, hard drives, SSD's, etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor ($371.72 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Ultimate 99 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Phantom Gaming 6 ATX TR4 Motherboard ($244.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($205.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.10 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-07 06:22 EDT-0400

Reactions: enkidoe

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
many thanks all for the reply. think i will go for the new build with the boxed cooler.Checked the current config and it was purchased juli 2016, paid 400 euro's for mainboard and processor.

Certainly a 2700/2700X would double your core/thread count instantly....that should allow whatever VMs you were running to run without as much interference with any games also running concurrently....

(there have been some interesting sale prices on the assorted first gen Threadrippers, and, if your workloads thrive on cores, inexpensive 12-16 core options would prove interesting...)

D

Deleted member 14196

If you want to build new I would suggest the R7 2700 X with 32 gigs of RAM that’s what we use in our workstations and they can host many VM’s concurrently. They are extremely powerful and fast. I wouldn’t recommend any Intel box for running multiple VM’s as the multiple core performance is pretty poor compared to amd

Thread ripper is not really a good application for this if you’re going to game and it’s way too expensive