[SOLVED] i5-4690K bottleneck?

Apr 5, 2020
Working with my aging build here. I am looking to upgrade from R9 280X to RX5700. Will my i5-4690K be a bottleneck? Main reason for upgrade is to take full advantage of my new Dell S3220DGF by running games at 1440p/144hz.
Other specs:
24 GB RAM
Asrock z97 Pro4
250 GB SSD
HX 650 PSU

Any feedback or pointers on the upgrade or how to best improve the build in general will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
llleka

Solution
If you are seeking high framerates in some newer AAA titles that need more than 4 threads to run well, then yes the 4690k can be a bottleneck. On less CPU demanding games it still holds up decently well, though you still may struggle to get a perfect 144FPS regardless of GPU. It would probably help to know what exactly it is you're planning to play. 64 player Battlefield maps or newer open world games like the latest Assassin's Creed installments are very CPU heavy and the 4690k may struggle to even get you 60FPS at times.
If you are seeking high framerates in some newer AAA titles that need more than 4 threads to run well, then yes the 4690k can be a bottleneck. On less CPU demanding games it still holds up decently well, though you still may struggle to get a perfect 144FPS regardless of GPU. It would probably help to know what exactly it is you're planning to play. 64 player Battlefield maps or newer open world games like the latest Assassin's Creed installments are very CPU heavy and the 4690k may struggle to even get you 60FPS at times.

Solution
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply Supernova1138. I generally play AAA single player non open world games. I'm just hoping to extend the life of my build by another couple of years. I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black cooler and was thinking to potentially overclock the CPU. Think that will be worthwhile?
Another question that has come up is to whether I should upgrade my Corsair HX 650 PSU. Its approaching its 10 year anniversary...

You can try overclocking and that can help a bit, but it still won't make up for the lack of threads if the game requires them. As for the power supply, good units do last a long time, but 10 years is probably nearing the point where you should replace it, especially if you are pushing it hard eg. drawing lots of power with heavy overclocks or power hungry GPUs.