[SOLVED] i5 4690k - Corsair H100i V2 - Idle at 55-60 degrees, Prime95 at 100 degrees (throttled) - HELP?

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi guys.

Having a big issue with my H100i. I just installed it in my build, which is an MSI z97 G55 with an i5 4690k. Prime95 26.6 on small FFTs brings it to 100 degrees in nearly seconds. Even on blend, the easiest test, I'm getting temps of 99-100 and throttling! This is not normal, at all.

First off: the pump works. I can hear it no problem. Corsair Link reads the RPMs up to 3000+ in performance mode. The fans are stock, basically brand new.

I have done the backplate mod for the cooler after my 4th install attempt which involves rubber washers on the standoffs to remove the play for thinner motherboards in an attempt to improve contact with the die.

The hoses do get semi-warm on the inlet line to the rad, so I know there IS fluid moving.

I've tried Prime95, Intel Burn Test, all result in almost instant throttling.

I've tried reorienting the cooler about 5-10 times, with a fresh install of AS5 thermal paste following AS5s install instructions each time. I seriously doubt it's the paste application. I've easily spent 6 -10 hours on this, no results. The fluid temp is around 39.2 degrees after a few tests, and idle package temp is around 60 degrees with core temps around 55 degrees with minimal load (10-15% from the MSI/Corsair monitoring software in the foreground).

I am LOST...help...?

Solution

You're using the proper utility (Prime95), version (26.6) and test selection (Small FFT's) for validating thermal performance. Also, it appears that you most likely haven't overlooked any details.

Q: How old is your AIO?

There...

CompuTronix

Intel Master

You're using the proper utility (Prime95), version (26.6) and test selection (Small FFT's) for validating thermal performance. Also, it appears that you most likely haven't overlooked any details.

Q: How old is your AIO?

There are four problems with AIO's:

(1) All AIO's will eventually fail. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when. Pumps have moving parts that wear out, so those which run 24/7/365 are prone to premature failure. AIO units are notorious for failures due to inferior pump quality, whereas custom loops typically use high-end pumps which have greater longevity.

(2) Coolant can evaporate over time due to "permeation" which can cause impeller "cavitation" due to bubbles.

(3) AIO's are sealed Closed Loop Coolers (CLC), which unlike custom loops, are not designed to be cleaned of sediments and refilled.

(4) Also unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediment over time. Even new AIO's may contain sediment due to inadequate flushing after being manufactured. Some particles can become relatively large over time, which can create blockages resulting in flow problems.

Simply installing, moving, handling or otherwise disturbing the unit, new or old, is enough to dislodge particles, whereupon the next power-up, the now free-floating particles can circulate into the impeller chamber and stop the impeller. Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the motor (no direct shaft), the motor will continue to run while the impeller is stopped. So "hearing" the motor running or "feeling" vibration does not indicate flow, nor does Pump RPM in various software utilities.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify. Under normal operation, even at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, it indicates little to no flow. This can be verified by checking the tubes with an infrared (IR) thermometer. Further, if the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it also indicates little to no flow.

• The information you've provided points to an AIO blockage problem which is causing little to no flow.

Q: For troubleshooting purposes, do you have an air cooler to temporarily swap out with your AIO? Even the original stock cooler is good enough to change the thermal behavior, which will verify the problem as well as your troubleshooting steps.

I recommend that you RMA your H100i. Corsair AIO's have a 5 year warranty, which to their credit, they typically honor without difficulty. This problem will most likely be solved by an RMA replacement.

CT :sol:

Solution