i5 4690k getting very hot

Paddyward

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hi
I have just installed a new motherboard and CPU, the i5 4690k, and it is getting very hot.
While Windows is booting, it stays at about 40C but after about 5 minutes of it being on it reaches 70-80C and I turn it off to stop it from damaging itself. I have the stock heatsink and stock thermal paste. I am using coretemp to see the temperature of my CPU. What do I do?
Thanks

Solution
I would try removing and remounting the CPU cooler. The CPU should not be getting that hot even in a poorly ventilated case especially just idling after booting Windows. The stock cooler should be more than adequate for a stock clocked CPU. When you remove the cooler, look at the thermal compound on the HSF and the CPU itself to see if it looked even from the original mounting. I'm guessing the cooler wasn't completely "locked in" and one of the push-pins wasn't in the whole way.

snowctrl

Distinguished
What is your case cooling like? It sounds like heat is building up in the case....

In which case you want an aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is standard cheap-and-effective option) and probably some additional case fans set up to pull air in at the front, and blow it out at the top and back

Paddyward

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I have taken the lid off the case and let it run, but it still reaches high temperatures.
If I have to, I will buy that cooler, but surely the machine can run with the stock cooler? Doesn't this mean there is a fault somewhere?
Thanks

Paddyward

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I have tried changing the port of the fan on the motherboard but that seems to have done nothing. Its just strange that a stock cooler cannot cool a brand new processor, that isnt OCed

snowctrl

Distinguished

It should run ok with the stock cooler, provided you've not over clocked it... check all your fans are running properly, then consider re-applying the thermal paste

Paddyward

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Are there any other coolers that are a bit smaller, but in the same price range? I don't think that cooler will fit my PC case. My PC case dimensions are: depth 498mm, height 433mm, width 185mm.
I was thinking something like the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo.
Thanks

snowctrl

Distinguished
What PC case is it? I would be surprised if it didn't fit, it's actually not that tall a cooler - it fits in the majority of cases. Youshould be bale to get the exact spec from Cooler Master's site, but from memory I think it's 165mm tall, so it should fit

Paddyward

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I cannot find the specific name of my case, because I bought it through a computer builder shop. They call it a Black ATX Case, which isn't very helpful. I found those specs through their website, so they are accurate.
Also, I tried using the cooler with the same website and case and it said that it will not be compatible because of the size of the cooler.
Thanks

I would try removing and remounting the CPU cooler. The CPU should not be getting that hot even in a poorly ventilated case especially just idling after booting Windows. The stock cooler should be more than adequate for a stock clocked CPU. When you remove the cooler, look at the thermal compound on the HSF and the CPU itself to see if it looked even from the original mounting. I'm guessing the cooler wasn't completely "locked in" and one of the push-pins wasn't in the whole way.

Solution