i5 4690k having problems?

Brum-Games

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Hey guys,

So I recently discovered a strange thing. When I change my graphical settings in games, my fps doesn't change. This applies to all games I've played. And that's a lot of games. So I'm guessing there is a problem with the cpu.

I'm running a Intel core i5 4690k with a gtx 970 and 16gb ddr3 ram @1600mhz. Everything is running at Stock clocks, except the cpu, it's at 3.7 ghz.

I'm about to run a stress test, but I'm not expecting any realy strange results. Still I know there is something wrong. Help is more than welcome!!

Owen_24

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
So are you saying that at low settings you have for instance 60fps and at high settings you have 60fps? It sounds like you have a setting on your GPU turned on.

theotherguy1241

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I have this same problem with nearly the same specs as you. My only difference is that I have a GTX 1080. For instance in games I will get random fps drops or stutters. Arma 3 no matter what settings I have the game on I can only run it at 30-40 fps max. Someone please help us. Did I get a faulty cpu? The cpu would only overclock to 3.7 ghz without blue screening.

Not all games are the same, it would help to know which games. It does seem strange that settings aren't having any impact unless the particular games you're playing the gpu is just overkill for them. 3.7ghz sounds about right when all 4 cores are active, that's intel's turbo boost. Stock base clocks are at 3.5ghz, max turbo (1 core fully active) is 3.9ghz. When 2 cores are fully active the top turbo boost drops to 3.8ghz, when 3-4 cores are fully engaged it drops to 3.7ghz.

It would help to have full details of the build, which cooler, which motherboard etc. Also to know what temps the cpu is reaching when gaming using either something like realtemp or msi afterburner. With afterburner you can set it to give an osd overlay so you can monitor fps, cpu temp, gpu temp, cpu and gpu usage in real time as you play.

With the little info so far it doesn't sound like there's a cpu problem if it's reaching the speeds it's supposed to be.

It would help to start a new thread so others can help you with your system specifically. Too many people trying to sort out multiple peoples problems in a single thread can get confusing.

maybe start your own thread ?

I have the same system as you , and I get various speeds form game to game, which games and what FPS are you getting ? but the one thing that comes to mind... vsync...

goto your NVidia control panel and set vsync off see image below
5kGBRAL.png