i5 4690k Heat issue

Jartsu

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
So I have a i5 4690k installed on my PC with stock cooler, when playing a game like Far Cry 5 I managed to hit temps as high as 83 Degrees which I don't think is quite right. I'm upto all suggestions which could improve, I'll also swap the stock cooler out soon, but the heat doesn't seem right with the stock cooler in my opinion.

I have a corsair 200r case and just the stock fans it came with, I haven't changed anything. Also my CPU is not overclocked.

Solution
I have the same CPU. I consider anything over 70C as too hot.
The stock cooler is junk. 90C is max recommended. Please get a better one.

The stock cooler may work, but ultimately you are shortening the life of your CPU by running it hot.
It's like buying a Ferrari and trying to save money on the tires.
It might work for a while, but you will maybe die because you wanted to save a few bucks.
83 is a little high but not the end of the world...and far cry 5 may be pretty demanding....I don't have it yet so I'm not sure.

I would put on a good cooler and I would expect the temps to drop significantly.

Some stock coolers are really bad at cooling properly.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have the same CPU. I consider anything over 70C as too hot.
The stock cooler is junk. 90C is max recommended. Please get a better one.

The stock cooler may work, but ultimately you are shortening the life of your CPU by running it hot.
It's like buying a Ferrari and trying to save money on the tires.
It might work for a while, but you will maybe die because you wanted to save a few bucks.

Solution