[SOLVED] I5 4690k OC - Question

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hi everyone
So i have this problem here (where you can find my specs): https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-gpu-lower-fpss-help-me-please.3553650/

My new question is, until i will buy new motherboard + cpu + ram, it will increase the FPS's if i OC my CPU?
If yes, it is safe? I dont want to damage something... I dont want 5.0 Ghz or more...
I just want smoother gameplay in my games, because ussualy my CPU is at 100% and my GPU is around 20-30% ... want to boost my CPU for better performances ..

Can you help me somehow? (I have ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, if you can help me how can I OC my CPU.. because i didnt OC never)

Thank you guys

Solution
Pretty common for those CPUs to easily reach 4.2-4.4Ghz with out too much effort. Should already be hitting 3.9Ghz automatically.

Really comes down to how warm it is getting and what cooling you have. If you are running the stock cooler (which still came with Haswell chips, not sure about Devil's Canyon)

You can check the quick and dirty guide here from a local:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty common for those CPUs to easily reach 4.2-4.4Ghz with out too much effort. Should already be hitting 3.9Ghz automatically.

Really comes down to how warm it is getting and what cooling you have. If you are running the stock cooler (which still came with Haswell chips, not sure about Devil's Canyon)

You can check the quick and dirty guide here from a local:

Solution
What cooler are you running? As said above those chips should take a decent oc, depending on temp.

Will it help, yes, a little. Dont go into it expecting night and day difference. You may only see a few fps, you may see 20+. It's all going to depend on the game.

It's mostly safe, as long as temps and voltages are kept within reason. Usually 80c under stress and no more than 1.4v maximum.

It's free performance, so I'd give it a go.

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
i OC'ed from Bios with 1 button , from OC disable in 4.2GHz.
I could choose from 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 , with red was 4,5 and 4,6
And now i made a screenshot from game and tell me please if the results are good (temps usage etc) (i was alt tab to make the SS

Photo

Temps look good. But did you actually do any thermal testing or stability testing? Prime95, cinebench, realbench?

What voltage are you using? Was this an auto oc profile in bios? Those are usually not the best and can run more voltage than necessary. But as long as temps are acceptable and its stable, it should be ok.

Hwmonitor is ok, but hwinfo64 is usually better. Try that and when it opens, select sensors only.

Test stability as described in the link I posted.

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Temps look good. But did you actually do any thermal testing or stability testing? Prime95, cinebench, realbench?

What voltage are you using? Was this an auto oc profile in bios? Those are usually not the best and can run more voltage than necessary. But as long as temps are acceptable and its stable, it should be ok.

Hwmonitor is ok, but hwinfo64 is usually better. Try that and when it opens, select sensors only.

Test stability as described in the link I posted.

"But did you actually do any thermal testing or stability testing? Prime95, cinebench, realbench?" -
Not yet, i will and i will make some screenshots.

"What voltage are you using? Was this an auto oc profile in bios?" -
Yes is an auto oc profile for 4.2, but i will make some photos in my bios setting and upload here to tell your oppinion

"Hwmonitor is ok, but hwinfo64 is usually better. Try that and when it opens, select sensors only." -
I will and again, I will make screenshots.

When I will do screenshots, please help me with the results because i dont understand a lot of things and i dont know if it is good or bad...
I know only very basic things...

Thank you very much ...

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Ok, first of all I made some photos with CPU OC settings from Bios, later i will send photos with test results etc.
What do you think, its ok the settings from BIOS? (auto oc to 4.2)

Thanks

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Ok, first of all I made some photos with CPU OC settings from Bios, later i will send photos with test results etc.
What do you think, its ok the settings from BIOS? (auto oc to 4.2)

Thanks

Added HWinfo Screenshots
First Photo
Second
Thrid
4 :D

I will add Prime95 and RealBench result soon

Good, here are the result from Prime95
Prime95

And here is the result from RealBench with HWInfo at CPU and GPU
RealBench
RealBench2

I hope it is clear and I gave you the right results...
Waiting for your answer guys :D

Last edited:
Push harder and check temps. Since you're already close to that 80c mark, you may not want to go much farther. It may not be worth it fps wise either. You'll likely start seeing diminishing returns as far as temp vs fps.

How long are you running the tests? P95 is usually a 15 minute or so thermal compliance followed by 8ish hours of realbench on a loop to determine stability. At least if I'm remembering the guide correctly.

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
I left it only for 15 minutes...
Won't push it more because i dont use my pc for editing or programs like that
For the moment only soft gaming (Dota2, Metro Exodus and any games which will appear).
I observed smooter gameplay already in Dota2 and Metro Exodus with same video seetings (Ultra and Ray Tracing On)
And my CPU was under 50C, my GPU unde 40-45C.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss

TRENDING THREADS