I5 4690k or I5 6600k?

Amer Ceraf

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Currently i have a setup of i5 4690k unfortunately my motherboard is dead, so i want to know does upgrading to i5 8400 is needed in order to play 2018 games (far cry 5, rdr2,pubg etc) and i would like to get GTX 1070 for my current setup or i5 8400 setup. My last gpu is 970 which ive sold it last year since that ive been gaming on my PS4. If the 8400 is not worth i will buy the 1150 to replace my faulty motherboard and buy the 1070, if its neccesary to upgrade i will build a new setup of 1151 socket. Gaming on 1080p only and would like my games on ultra and 60fps.

Solution
Older quad core i5 & i7 CPUs still game very well for current games but the gamble nobody can really answer is how long that will last. The 6 core 8400 is a better gaming CPU and should last a bit longer with the extra two cores. If all you want is to play games released up until now then fixing the old machine is not a bad option if you can find a board at a reasonable price.

I would suggest pricing both an i5 8400 + RAM + MB and a Ryzen 2600 + RAM + MB and then compare that to how much it will cost to fix your old machine because they represent the best bang for buck gaming options right now IMO

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Older quad core i5 & i7 CPUs still game very well for current games but the gamble nobody can really answer is how long that will last. The 6 core 8400 is a better gaming CPU and should last a bit longer with the extra two cores. If all you want is to play games released up until now then fixing the old machine is not a bad option if you can find a board at a reasonable price.

I would suggest pricing both an i5 8400 + RAM + MB and a Ryzen 2600 + RAM + MB and then compare that to how much it will cost to fix your old machine because they represent the best bang for buck gaming options right now IMO

Solution