i5 4690k or i7 4790k?

OnlineCape

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Looking to upgrade my system, and was confused between these two CPU's. I have just enough money for the CPU, along with a mobo. The problem is that if I get the i7, I'll have to get a lower end Z97 mobo, while with the i5, I'll have enough to get a higher end mobo, like an Asus VII Ranger. What should I get, between the two? I'll be gaming on an 1080p monitor. I want to future proof my system for a good 2-3 years.

Solution
well then the -K- it is good luck

I went with i5 and all is good , but I do wonder is I spent extra on the hyperthreading chips if it would of been better[????] nd that's about it the i5 has done all I asked of it no issues as of yet

my next chip will be xeon or 7 to see on that
Choose based on what this is for. If you need lots of video editing then get the i7. If you want to game then get a i5. i5 is the middle CPU but the best CPU for value. Some people waste money and get a i7 and don't realize the i5 is exactly the same. i5 is easy winner here.

The performance difference between i7 and i5 doesn't exist for gamers unless you have 3 GPUs. Otherwise put money into good quality mobo.

DubbleClick

Admirable
If you'd be spending all the money anyway, get the i7 and a cheaper board.
The i7 will give you up to 20% performance boost on same clock speed.

A high end motherboard will maybe give you 1% performance increase. If you're lucky 5% compared to the worst board.

If you have the budget for a i7, I say go for it.
You will get a better binned chip that will run at 4.0/4.4 at stock.
Hyperthreading is probably no nelp to a gamer,, but it can't hurt.

If you settle for the i5, you will forever wonder.

On the motherboard, any Z97 based motherboard will be fine.
The really high priced versions are for overclocking enthusiasts or gamers wanting triple sli capabilities.

wow 3.3 3.4 3.5 and 3.6 I see that hurting him and then look at the turbo I mean where do you get hurt?? you'll never see that .2 difference between the chips overall

then in the post at top don't see oc'ing brought up as priority he may not need a k chip for his needs

I'm sorry, not shooting down your suggestion, but just want to elaborate on the differences so OP can make the most informed decision. He might not want or know how to overclock after all.

OnlineCape

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Will that keep me well off for the near future? Will games not need more cores to run properly? And I do need to upgrade my GPU as well, as I have an R9 270X currently. What would you suggest, with this CPU?

OnlineCape

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

I would be overclocking a fair bit.

well then the -K- it is good luck

I went with i5 and all is good , but I do wonder is I spent extra on the hyperthreading chips if it would of been better[????] nd that's about it the i5 has done all I asked of it no issues as of yet

my next chip will be xeon or 7 to see on that

Solution