i5-4690K or i7-4790K

DeadMan_DDProds

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
(Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to be thorough)

I'm looking to build a new PC in the coming months and I'm having a hard time picking a CPU. I have it narrowed down to the i5-4690K and the i7-4790k. I've been reading around and still haven't really gotten an answer, so I thought I would just ask.

The PC I'm looking to build is for gaming, game recording, and mild video editing (let's plays and stuff like that, nothing too extreme). I'm buying the parts from Newegg.ca. They have the i7-4790K for $348.99 and the i5-4690K for $244.99. That is a pretty huge price difference, so I'm leaning towards the 4690K. I know it doesn't have hyper-threading like the 4790K, but I'm not sure if I need that. I also read the "Best CPU for the Money" thing on here for this year and they recommend the 4690K unless you want to future-proof, with some games supporting hyper-threading.

I game at 1080p, and for recording I'm looking to use the ExtremeCap U3. I've had it for a while but I built myself out of using it with an entirely AMD based system. It records 1080p@60fps which is great now that YouTube supports that, and I'm looking at using it to record PC footage. The video editing stuff I do with Premiere Pro CC, then export it with Adobe Media Encoder. Like I said, it's mainly Let's Play videos. I'm not going to be doing any really intensive rendering stuff.

The build as it stands right now is...

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
CPU: i5-4690K or i7-4790K
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
Case: NZXT Source 530

If I got the i5 I could afford to get some more RAM or maybe liquid cooling so I could overclock the thing better. If I got the i7 I could potentially save myself some headaches down the road. I'm really torn and could use some advice. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

brandonxwrx

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Well performance will definitely be better when playing high end games at high resolution. However the 4790k is more expensive, as the processor itself is more expensive as the processor is more expensive. But really it's about the games you will be playing. If you are willing to play in 1080p rather then 1440p I'd say go with the i5.