i5 4690k overclocking help with specific setup

auditore325

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm trying to overclock and I'm having a relatively difficult time trying to keep things together. The voltage right now is 1.8 in the VRIN and the VCore voltage is 1.125. This is my main worry. Everywhere else I look, everyone is saying a 1.2 voltage and above for VCore but my mobo is limited to 1.2 volts. Does anyone have experience with this setup or know of a way to help?

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H
CPU: Intel i5-4690k
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Desired/Current Clock: 4.2 GHz

I understand that these components aren't the ideal but I'm trying to make do with what I have. The temperature right now doesn't go that high (highest is 61C for 1 core) but I keep getting BSOD's.

Thanks, for the help!

Solution
Unless you have some sort of modified BIOS that allows multiplier changes on a B85 there is no way to get a 4690k stable via a BCLK overclock because that also modifies the clock of the DMI and PCIe bus which will cause crashes.

If you do have a BIOS that allows you to adjust the CPU multiplier on B85 then you are likely encountering stability issues from the lack of VRM power phases. The Gigabyte B85 DS3H only has a 4 phase or 3 phase design (depending upon revision), which is going to reduce stability. These boards were not designed for overclocking.
A B85 will not be able to properly overclock a 4690k. You can not increase the multiplier. The only thing you (might) be able to increase would be the BCLK but on Haswell it is tied in with DMI and PCIe bus, which are going to be extremely unstable at anything more than about a 5% increase.

auditore325

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013

I've already got past that point. Currently, my CPU is running at 4.2GHz but it has some crashes and I want to know why.

Unless you have some sort of modified BIOS that allows multiplier changes on a B85 there is no way to get a 4690k stable via a BCLK overclock because that also modifies the clock of the DMI and PCIe bus which will cause crashes.

If you do have a BIOS that allows you to adjust the CPU multiplier on B85 then you are likely encountering stability issues from the lack of VRM power phases. The Gigabyte B85 DS3H only has a 4 phase or 3 phase design (depending upon revision), which is going to reduce stability. These boards were not designed for overclocking.

Solution