i5 4690k overclocking

Paul Hackenberger

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
i currently have a hyper t4 and i am looking to switch to a 212 evo i can get 4.4 ghz easy my temps get up to 74c when stress testing will i see a benefit in switching and can i overclock more with a 212 evo

http://postimg.org/image/c3bbz8bh3/

What is your ambient temperature? The 212 will get you to around 1.2v as I said but it depends on your CPU by how much that will allow you to increase your core multiplier. The 212 will perform better and if you don't want to spend £60 on something like a Noctua NH-D15, the 212 will help you drop your temps at the least.

Paul Hackenberger

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

my ambient temps are around 60-70 f or 15 c - 21c i live in the us making a nh-d15 REALLY expensive (i also live in alaska) i guess i am one of the lucky ones as i can get 4.4 with 1.131 so 4.6 sounds do able with the evo so i guess ill save for a AIO cooler and get that 4.8/5 ghz

You're welcome to try but don't be disappointed if you don't get to 5ghz. You'll likely run out of vcore headroom before thermals become the limiting factor. Many like mine do fine with gradual vcore increases until you reach a certain point and then it hits a wall. For me I reach 4.6 at around 1.285v, I managed to get to 4.7 but it took 1.35 to 1.36v. That sizable jump in vcore to get to the next multiplier stably is evidence of hitting that wall where even if temps are in check the vcore required are just too much.

As far as the cooler, the t4 and 212 evo aren't much different. More of a sidegrade since they're so close in price and performance. I don't know what shipping is like to AK, is free shipping or standard shipping not available? An nh-d14 doesn't run much more than a budget aio cooler so if you're considering one, may as well get the nh-d14 (or similar).

Since you're able to get to 4.4 with such a budget cooler it sounds like you got a good chip. Unless you're determined to get another 200-300mhz out of it and invest in a more expensive cooler I'd say you're doing good with what you've got going on. 75c under load during stress testing isn't so bad, typically regular usage loads like gaming and other things won't reach as high as the temps you're getting during a stress test. Meaning you should be around 70c or less during normal use. A more expensive cooler may drop it closer to the low to mid 60's c but will cost 2-3x as much as the tx-4.

Paul Hackenberger

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

ill do aio right and get a Corsair H110i GTX