[SOLVED] i5 4690k reaching 100 Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
So Ive been running my i5 4690k at stock settings for a while however, I decided I wanted to overclock it slightly, as it has been holding back my performance in a few games. Before I overclocked, I did some stress testing in intel burn test and p95 to see what base temps where using just the default turbo mode and for some reason core 1 reaches 100 degrees almost instantly before the cpu throttles down. When I then oc'd and used a lower voltage of around 1.15 the problem still remained. Any ideas as to why only one core is reaching this temp whilst the rest sit at about 75-80 (using the Hyper 212 Evo?

Specs:
8gb hyperx 1866
Asus z97-p
Corsair cx 750m
Gtx 970
Hyper 212 Evo
Adata su500

Solution
at stock speed you shouldn't be getting anywhere near 100c with a 212.

You could try a larger cooler,better fans, etc, but if you ask me it sounds like the IHS has moved in some way, and your CPU die is no longer making proper contact with the IHS.

For stock settings you could change which core boosts, so if core 1 is the problem core it won't boost, rather one of the other cores will (assuming your motherboard gives you this ability). i believe you could also overclock using similar logic.

You could also delid the CPU and redo the thermal paste within the CPU if you feel daring.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
The most common reason would be bad heat dissipation due to either bad thermal paste application or even more likely an uneven mounting of the cooler.
That could be possible either by one mounting screw jamming and therefore not attaching the cooler correctly to the ihs or an uneven ihs itself.

Dismount the cooler and take a look at the thermal paste coverage. Then clean the cpu and try if it spins on a flat surface. That would be a sign for an uneven ihs.

Reactions: Joseph J

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
The most common reason would be bad heat dissipation due to either bad thermal paste application or even more likely an uneven mounting of the cooler.
That could be possible either by one mounting screw jamming and therefore not attaching the cooler correctly to the ihs or an uneven ihs itself.

Dismount the cooler and take a look at the thermal paste coverage. Then clean the cpu and try if it spins on a flat surface. That would be a sign for an uneven ihs.
Thanks for the response. I very recently re seated the cpu, applied thermal past again and have also checked the heatsink is sitting properly. I will try your trick of seeing if it is uneven and if it does turn out be what would you recommend I do?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I highly doubt that an uneven ihs will be the root of the problem to be honest. If it were the case you could:
  • lap down the ihs until its flat. I never did that before and it obviously voids warranty. Would just do it if a new platform is planned anyways. Like with my 4690k
  • use a tad more thermal paste or one of these new graphene pads

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
I highly doubt that an uneven ihs will be the root of the problem to be honest. If it were the case you could:
  • lap down the ihs until its flat. I never did that before and it obviously voids warranty. Would just do it if a new platform is planned anyways. Like with my 4690k
  • use a tad more thermal paste or one of these new graphene pads
I have re-seated the CPU and its cooler again with extra thermal paste whilst also making sure it is tight as can be. I have also tested to see if it was uneven and that doesn't seem to be the case. Just ran p95 and the same core still instantly goes to 100 degrees. Is it possible that the CPU is on its way out or is maybe a problem with the motherboard?

You could try a larger cooler,better fans, etc, but if you ask me it sounds like the IHS has moved in some way, and your CPU die is no longer making proper contact with the IHS.

For stock settings you could change which core boosts, so if core 1 is the problem core it won't boost, rather one of the other cores will (assuming your motherboard gives you this ability). i believe you could also overclock using similar logic.

You could also delid the CPU and redo the thermal paste within the CPU if you feel daring.

Solution

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014

I think I will give deliding it a go. I have looked into it and it doesn't look too complicated and I do not really see any other reason that could be causing this problem.

I think I will give deliding it a go. I have looked into it and it doesn't look too complicated and I do not really see any other reason that could be causing this problem.
I wouldn't delid unless you are willing to potentially break the CPU

And i would like to clarify my earlier response, you shouldn't be hitting anywhere near 100c with a 212 on STOCK settings. Even with a small overclock you really shouldn't be seeing temps that high.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What version prime 95? I know you said ibt as well and i don't think ibt heats cpus up as much as prime 95 using avx instruction sets, could be wrong. But thought if running these two tests consecutively, possibly heat hasn't dissipated quick enough. Avx adds a good amount of extra heat and is recommended to turn it off in the later prime versions or use v 26.6.

If your hsf isn't keeping up, how many fans is on it and how is the heatsink arranged and case air flow setup?

Could put a pair of Noctua industrial fans on both sides of the heatsink. Since these fans are sold separately afaik and are excellent fans and if you decided to change heatsink could still reuse the fans.

KaptainTacticus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014

Update. As of a week ago I have finally de-lidded my i5 4690k and fixed the temperature issue whilst also achieving a 4.4 Ghz OC at roughly 10 degrees C cooler then temps at default clock (before de-lidded).

Status
Not open for further replies.