I5 4690k vs FX9590

idk14

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
i would llike to pick one for gaming purpose only, but.. i don't know wich one is doing better in games on cpu boss it seems that on other things like the pass mark benchmarks its better, at overclocking its much much better.. what's the right choice?.. please help..

Solution
There are a couple of reasons why you should NOT go with the FX-9590.
1. It is extremely overpriced. It costs $260,you can get the i5 4690K and something else for like $30-$40 for that money.
2. It needs an expensive motherboard.These are the only MoBos that support it:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/
They are pretty expensive,with the cheapest being $106.For the i5 4690(K),you can get a $50 MoBo and it would still work.
3. It needs much much much more power than the i5 4690K.We're talking about a 220W TDP,while the 4690K has an 88W TDP.That more than twice the amount of power. You also need a big power supply(in terms of wattage) and a beast CPU cooler for it.
4. THe i5 4690(K) will give more FPS...

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
When I buy a new cpu, I don't look at who made it, but how it performs. and I buy what's best for gaming at the time I'm buying - last time I bought an AMD cpu was in 2003. I tend to get a new cpu and motherboard every 3-4 years.

Hope this answers your question :)

idk14

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014

Not really, you just told me how to choose a cpu, but i just asked wich of those two is the best for GAMING cause i searched on inthernet and in some cases the fx wins like in passmarks, performance per multi core and overclocking and in other cases like the performance per core the i5 wins easly so i don't know wich one to choose from these two..

Not really. The CPU has a TDP of 220W (or something). This means that there is only a small pool of motherboards that can actually run this thing without overheating. So the money you'd be saving would go towards a very high quality motherboard, and additional cooling. Of the FX series, the best one to go for is the FX-8370. Anything higher than that is a waste of money.

Most games like faster cores better than more cores.
This is the reason why Intel's procs (I5 and I7) win here and there.
For games which like both fast cores and more cores Intel's I7 wins.
AMD only wins in low price area, where the AMDs compete with the I3s...remember price area and not price/performance area...

I also do not care where my proc comes from. AMD, Intel, Cyrix, etc. I just buy the best bang for buck I can pay.
FX9590 is not on my list.

There are a couple of reasons why you should NOT go with the FX-9590.
1. It is extremely overpriced. It costs $260,you can get the i5 4690K and something else for like $30-$40 for that money.
2. It needs an expensive motherboard.These are the only MoBos that support it:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/
They are pretty expensive,with the cheapest being $106.For the i5 4690(K),you can get a $50 MoBo and it would still work.
3. It needs much much much more power than the i5 4690K.We're talking about a 220W TDP,while the 4690K has an 88W TDP.That more than twice the amount of power. You also need a big power supply(in terms of wattage) and a beast CPU cooler for it.
4. THe i5 4690(K) will give more FPS:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690-vs-AMD-FX-9590
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehrXA3n39c

Solution

idk14

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014

The i5 too in the full load have 211 TDP, only in idle it have 53 but the fx too in idle have 94 only and in full load 288.. so... damn. the fps difference in that video is damn huge in favor for i5, if i could give double "Choose Solution" i would give you too one :D

The AM3+ socket might be dead. But it doesn't really matter. It's not as if many people buy multiple CPUs for the same socket.

There's no doubt that right now the i5 is the better choice for games. I'm not so sure how it will be in a couple of years due to the console configuration of the PS4 and XB One.

idk14

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
I found the link, there is a list with motherboards, all those motherboards are overclockable?
And the i5 is overclockable at a max of 4.8ghz?

I found even :
MSI Z97 PC Mate
And
Gigabyte Z97P-D3
Wich is the best?