Question I5 4690k vs r5 2400/r5 2600

Mar 8, 2019
Hello, I've been thinking a lot about these: if to buy an i5 xxxx 3rd or 4th generation to stay in windows 7 because all the shit going on in w10 and because i've never had any problem with my old i5 3333 (Which is not mine anymore).

But after reading a lot i've seen that these old i5 stutter a lot in modern games so i got really confused, should i get a ryzen and never think again about buying another computer or stick with these old i5s (socket 1155, 1150) which still work but who knows for how long?.

Another question is if the difference between 1600/1866 mhz ddr3 memory and ddr4 2133/2400 mhz is that big of a deal.

I've never used my i5 for anything, the cpu was always bottlenecked by 4gb of ram, always playing games windowed and also never bought or had any graphics card on it so i really don't know how the big picture looks like.

Mostly used it for light gaming like unturned, modded minecraft (FTB), postal 2, rimworld, hamachi, skype, compression software like winzip, and mostly htpc.

So is it really worth going for the 1151 socket? Is it that big of a change? What about telemetry, drivers getting screwed after every update and shit always on background with w10?

Also if i were to buy a ryzen 5 2400g or r5 2600 which card would be better to not bottleneck them? And ram? Mobo? Should i wait a bit more for prices to go down?

Thats all i wanted to say cuz im not in touch with any new hardware since time.

Now im more concerned about
longevity but well.. It will be a long time purchase because im dependant on my parents still and all.

Not sure if split all these question in various threads but if they were answered here it will really open my eyes and shine my path. Answer in spanish if possible but i can understand english just right.

Last edited:
Hello, I've been thinking a lot about these: if to buy an i5 xxxx 3rd or 4th generation to stay in windows 7 because all the shit going on in w10 and because i've never had any problem with my old i5 3333 (Which is not mine anymore).
True, windows 10 is kinda broken nowdays, thats why I am on win 7 still...

But after reading a lot i've seen that these old i5 stutter a lot in modern games so i got really confused, should i get a ryzen and never think again about buying another computer or stick with these old i5s (socket 1155, 1150) which still work but who knows for how long?.
They kinda, but stutter? No. Im using Xeon or i5-4570 variant and still goes strong, even with RX 480 at ultra on Crysis 3 skybox got me 60fps.
But going now for ryzen is bad idea since they are gonna release in Q1 (January-April) 3rd generation ryzen.
And tricky part is the 3rd generation is still quite good, especially if you get K CPU and overclock them, but the 4th generation Are kinda "Overpriced", unless in your country its selling at normal price as they should be.
My suggestion would be, Wait for ryzen 3 and see if they perform as AMD said.

Another question is if the difference between 1600/1866 mhz ddr3 memory and ddr4 2133/2400 mhz is that big of a deal.
From watching youtube, from 1333->2400 DDR3 gets you 20fps.

So is it really worth going for the 1151 socket? Is it that big of a change? What about telemetry, drivers getting screwed after every update and shit always on background with w10?
Well looking from single thread perfomance from intel from 3-4th generation to current, there isnt big improvment on intels side, but you have to overclock them.
As most games still love the single core perfomance.
And they have implemented in newer games to support to 6 cores if im right? Havent heard a while from that soo take as grain of salt.

AM4 platform gives you upgrade path to the Ryzen 3 since they've said they support them until 2020.

Mar 8, 2019
True, windows 10 is kinda broken nowdays, thats why I am on win 7 still...

They kinda, but stutter? No. Im using Xeon or i5-4570 variant and still goes strong, even with RX 480 at ultra on Crysis 3 skybox got me 60fps.
But going now for ryzen is bad idea since they are gonna release in Q1 (January-April) 3rd generation ryzen.
And tricky part is the 3rd generation is still quite good, especially if you get K CPU and overclock them, but the 4th generation Are kinda "Overpriced", unless in your country its selling at normal price as they should be.
My suggestion would be, Wait for ryzen 3 and see if they perform as AMD said.

From watching youtube, from 1333->2400 DDR3 gets you 20fps.

Well looking from single thread perfomance from intel from 3-4th generation to current, there isnt big improvment on intels side, but you have to overclock them.
As most games still love the single core perfomance.
And they have implemented in newer games to support to 6 cores if im right? Havent heard a while from that soo take as grain of salt.

AM4 platform gives you upgrade path to the Ryzen 3 since they've said they support them until 2020.
Thanks for answering man, really means a lot.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS