i5-4690k --- what's a worthwhile upgrade?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
This cpu is in a pc I have out in my living room that's mostly used for gaming & watching movies. I was thinking it's about time to upgrade the thing.

Specs currently: i5-4690k, 16gb ddr3, 500gb ssd, 2tb hdd, gtx 1070 ti.

I was thinking about upgrading to an i5-8400 or ryzen 5 2600... but from benchmarks/testing, it doesn't look like either of those would make a worthwile upgrade. Would I have to just spend the extra money and go with an i7-8700k?

Solution
I wouldn't upgrade unless your in need. Intel isnt releasing anything earth shattering this year and we know what AMD has released.

Ryzen is a steal for the 2600 at $189 but you wont see that much if any improvement in games currently. Not to mention, DDR4 ram is still currently outrageous.

I would wait until next year.

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
I wouldn't upgrade unless your in need. Intel isnt releasing anything earth shattering this year and we know what AMD has released.

Ryzen is a steal for the 2600 at $189 but you wont see that much if any improvement in games currently. Not to mention, DDR4 ram is still currently outrageous.

I would wait until next year.

Solution

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I have not tried overclocking it because it's in an EVGA Hadron Air case. No room in there for a water cooler(unless I remove the HDD bracket & figure out where to put the drives). Supposedly it can fit a Noctua NH-U9S... but will be incredibly cramped.

I did see someone on Craigslist selling brand new NZXT Manta cases for $50. Only downside is I'm in San Diego and the seller is in Los Angeles(that drive sucks).

WildCard999

Titan
I see, yea I had a Hadron Air and it was tough to work in although I think a LP Noctua may be able to squeeze out a decent OC (4.2?). I have seen ppl rig up a 240mm radiator on the top of the case and run the tubing through the back of the case but it's a bit of a project and realistically would probably only give you a few hundred more mhz on the overclock which is probably not worth it.

If you do have a substantial amount of money burning a hole in your pocket then you probably could just go 8700K/Noctua LP/Z370 ITX & 16gb RAM in that Hadron Air.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690K/3937vs2432

The multicore performance is much better but single/quad core performance isn't that much of a improvement which IMHO doesn't really make it a worthwhile upgrade.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
It looks like I checked ebay at the right time. The EVGA Hadron Hydro(same case but with extra room up top for water cooling) is showing as new for $89. That case was around $200 for the longest time. I'm going to order that. Then it's just a matter of what water cooler to go with... o_O

toshibitsu

Distinguished
sorry, I was outside working on my mountain bike :0

Looks like EVGA makes their own custom kit. which is out of stock everywhere.. yay :(

Although according to 'EVGA_JacobF'(admin on the evga forums) it's compatible with "many" aftermarket AIO coolers.

I will say I love my Hadron Air case so definitely going to try out the Hydro.

WildCard999

Titan
If you go for a new build I'd suggest removing the HDD brackets and using a M.2 SSD for storage, this should give you a bit more room for cooling and potential mods. I saw some pics of ppl who drilled holes in the front of the case for airflow and was able to put a 120mm AIO where the HDD cages where. It's a good way of putting water cooling into the case without having to put anything outside of it.

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I've seen that Fractal Design case on display before and didn't really care for it(at least visually). I don't know what it is about the case exactly.... but that Hadron has sort of 'attached' itself to me somehow(if that makes sense). The last "big" case I had was a Cooler Master Cosmos CSX Fallen Angel. I had that thing for so long. I eventually felt it was time to move to a smaller case and got rid of it.