[SOLVED] i5 4th gen to Ryzen 7 - Upgrading after half a decade, feedback please..

dimthu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Hi everyone,

I've been living in the stone age with the technologies, so please bear with me on this one since I'm upgrading 5, 6 years later and switching to AMD from Intel.

Last time I upgraded the system to play Witcher 3 which I still run, and it is Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3 GHz paired with GeForce 970 GTX.
Recently bought RDR 2 and looks like the 4 cores are not enough to fully enjoy it, and after doing some research, I'm leaning go with Ryzen 7 3700X, B550 motherboard and a dual channel
16GB RAM kit.

My question is, in my country with the current lockdowns, I need to order this online and I have to get this right. Will this Ryzen go with the rest of my system?

Rest of my system is (Which I plan to keep for the moment)
FSP Hexa 550W PSU - Which has 24 pin power connector (Any feedback on load power consumption?)
Cooler master 212 evo - I read you need a special connector to plug it to AM4, but is the Ryzen default cooler enough?
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - Sata 3 connector
Samsung 2TB HDD - Sata 2 (This one is old and sata 2 I believe, backward compatibility? )
Nvidia GeForce 970X - This is PCI E 3.0 card, any backward compatibility problems? Also I will buy a card later, but won't SLI.

Exact things I'm planning to order online:
Ryzen™ 7 3700X
Gigabyte B550M DS3H or Asus PRIME B550 PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 8GB * 2

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
i went from a 4690k to a 3700x and the difference is night and day. you won't regret that move for sure :)

the stock cooler is good enough but it is very annoying with this odd deep hum it makes. i made it 2 weeks then went with a 3rd party cooler as well. it is very similar to the 212 evo in cooling ability and it has no issues keeping the cpu cool. the new versions of the 212 evo come with the am4 adapter but if you've had yours for a while then it won't have come with it since the socket did not exists at the time.

i'm pretty sure you can order the adapter but if it costs too much, then a new budget cooler would be just as good. 150w of cooling capacity or more is more than enough.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i went from a 4690k to a 3700x and the difference is night and day. you won't regret that move for sure :)

the stock cooler is good enough but it is very annoying with this odd deep hum it makes. i made it 2 weeks then went with a 3rd party cooler as well. it is very similar to the 212 evo in cooling ability and it has no issues keeping the cpu cool. the new versions of the 212 evo come with the am4 adapter but if you've had yours for a while then it won't have come with it since the socket did not exists at the time.

i'm pretty sure you can order the adapter but if it costs too much, then a new budget cooler would be just as good. 150w of cooling capacity or more is more than enough.

Solution

dimthu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Hey, thanks for replying. Will check around if I can buy the AM4 socket locally, if not as you suggested, better move to a new cooler. May be I'll try to see if I can live with the noise :)
How about windows? Did you have to reinstall it or did it detect the new hardware changes properly?

Hey, thanks for replying. Will check around if I can buy the AM4 socket locally, if not as you suggested, better move to a new cooler. May be I'll try to see if I can live with the noise :)
How about windows? Did you have to reinstall it or did it detect the new hardware changes properly?
For that many changes, nothing but clean Windows 10 installation would do.
If that PSU is as old as rest of system or older than 5 years, new one is highly recommended

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

right, you want to do a fresh install of windows. going from intel to amd is too big of a jump for anything other than a fresh install. it'll take a couple hours and is well worth the time to do it right.