[SOLVED] i5-6500 locked at 3200MHz

pyte

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
My processor i5-6500 is locked at 3.2GHz, however ir should go up to 3.6GHz, which is Turbo Mode!

The motherboard is:
ASUS H110 M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD

I don't understand why does not go up!
Benchmark is garbage!

Solution
Here are the specs for an i5-6500.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-6500.html

If your CPU is limited to 3200 MHz, Intel Turbo Boost is disabled. If you have an option for this in the BIOS, make sure it is enabled. Also make sure that the core C states are enabled in the BIOS or the CPU will not be able to use maximum turbo boost.

Go into the Power Options and set the Maximum processor state to 100%. A setting of 99% or less will disable turbo boost. It would be a good idea to press the Restore plan defaults button.

Teyd3RG.png

Are you using the latest BIOS version? An updated BIOS might solve this problem.

If you are still having trouble, give ThrottleStop a try...

pyte

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hey there,

Which benchmark are you talking about? List you full pc specs. Ram/GPU/PSU etc

Hi, thanks for helping

I am talking about PassMark Benchmark, which should do 5600 of classification, however it only does 4000!

Specs:
i5-6500
8GB RAM DDR4 2133MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws (4+4)
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB G1 Gaming
SSD 240GB KIOXIA SATA3
HDD 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA3
Power supply: Gigabyte 460W

Here are the specs for an i5-6500.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-6500.html

If your CPU is limited to 3200 MHz, Intel Turbo Boost is disabled. If you have an option for this in the BIOS, make sure it is enabled. Also make sure that the core C states are enabled in the BIOS or the CPU will not be able to use maximum turbo boost.

Go into the Power Options and set the Maximum processor state to 100%. A setting of 99% or less will disable turbo boost. It would be a good idea to press the Restore plan defaults button.

Teyd3RG.png

Are you using the latest BIOS version? An updated BIOS might solve this problem.

If you are still having trouble, give ThrottleStop a try.

It has a Disable Turbo option on the main screen. Make sure that box is not checked. Open up Limit Reasons and see if there are any reasons for throttling in red. Post lots of pictures of ThrottleStop if you need help.

Some low end motherboards might disable turbo boost because their voltage regulators are marginal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Turbo Boost would only happen with one core active
The CPU World link that I posted shows how much turbo boost the i5-6500 can use. It varies depending on how many cores are active which can be constantly changing when a CPU is lightly loaded.

You cannot overclock with the H series chipset but full turbo boost functionality is supported. The core C states must be enabled for turbo boost to work correctly.

zN7pgSp.png

TRENDING THREADS