TLoke_

Honorable
May 14, 2016
I currently have a i5-6500 and I am bottlenecking a gtx 1070. I was told a Ryzen 5 2600 would be an upgrade from what I can tell it is. Is it worth the upgrade though? Or if I am upgrading should I just go for the 3600 for the extra $100? Or is the 2600 even that much better than the 6500?

Solution
Its a pretty minor bottleneck. Even a used 6700 or 7700 wouldnt really be worth it since the days of quad cores are coming to an end.

For the 2600 you can find them on ebay going for under 100 USD. New they are on sale for 120 USD which if budget isnt super tight is a good price

But if you on a budget but want to get into the Ryzen platform with a new CPU to give you options down the line look at the Rzyen 1600 "AF" 12nm (part YD1600BBAFBOX) which is essentially a 2600 that retails for roughly 85 USD. They are a little hard to find since hands down they are the best budget CPU available. Couple that with a B450 mobo, some 3200mhz or faster Dual Channel kit RAM (or suffer a significant performance hit) and you have yourself a...
Its a pretty minor bottleneck. Even a used 6700 or 7700 wouldnt really be worth it since the days of quad cores are coming to an end.

For the 2600 you can find them on ebay going for under 100 USD. New they are on sale for 120 USD which if budget isnt super tight is a good price

But if you on a budget but want to get into the Ryzen platform with a new CPU to give you options down the line look at the Rzyen 1600 "AF" 12nm (part YD1600BBAFBOX) which is essentially a 2600 that retails for roughly 85 USD. They are a little hard to find since hands down they are the best budget CPU available. Couple that with a B450 mobo, some 3200mhz or faster Dual Channel kit RAM (or suffer a significant performance hit) and you have yourself a platform you can upgrade on.

The 3600 would def be the best option though. It is a very strong gaming CPU and you can sometimes find them new on sale or with a rebate or mobo bundle. There are used ones for around 150 USD on ebay as well.

Solution

need4speeds

Distinguished
Maybe you got hit by Pludervolt like my garage pc did.

My Garage PC is a modded SFF HP with a i5-2500 and HD-4870, 32" samsung 720p lcdtv, win7 X64. It gets pummeled by the various flaws and extra updates compared with my Llano system.
My i5-2500 now runs at 3.4ghz on all 4 cores giving it a 100mhz overclock on a locked OEM board.

Install Throttle stop. When you get it working like you want. Make a shortcut to the throttle stop program file. Put the shortcut into Startup in your Start\programs menu so it will start with windows. Install CPU-Z and click on the last tab, (About) in that tab click on "Clocks" It will show all the core's clocks. Set Throttlestop to run the cpu at max turboboost for all 4 cores. It will give you a small OC even on a locked oem board.

Plundervolt is the newest one to hit intel cpus.

Yes they can overrun the antivirus and make the os run on the slowest downclocked cores to mess with it.

3.6ghz times 4 is your max speed.

Also disable power savings for the cpu in windows power management too.

My garage pc has ran nice and smooth since i did this.

johnsoner13

Respectable
Recently (1.5 months ago maybe?) ugraded my i5 6500 to a ryzen 5 2600. I’ve seen pretty huge benefits in games like BFV and COD MW, it’s very worth it as the 4 cores on the 6500 just aren’t cutting it with most games these days

I will say I had a 1700x and upgraded to the 3600 and it was a noticeable improvement even on my ASRock B350 board. Benchmarks seem to put it in the neighborhood of the i7 8700k. If you can afford the 3600 or 3600x, definitely go for it. They can run a little warm at times, so make sure you have good airflow though.