[SOLVED] i5 6500T with Z170 chipset- ram speed

ruffpl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
I got kids pc with Intel i5 6500t on Gigabyte h110 mainboard with gskill ddr4 3600 ram. Chipset support ram only up to 2133mhz so I want to buy used Asus Z170 mainboard that support ram up to 3400mhz ( and 4000 overclocked). Is it going to support my ram at speed faster than 2133 or not if I will use non k processor?

Solution
Z boards allow highest memory achievable by the chipset possible in it's specification regardless of cpu. Just be mindful that an effort like this isn't going to be worth the hassle, you won't notice all that much (if at all) with that processor. You'd be better off leaving ram as is and go with an i7 6700 and call it a day.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Z boards allow highest memory achievable by the chipset possible in it's specification regardless of cpu. Just be mindful that an effort like this isn't going to be worth the hassle, you won't notice all that much (if at all) with that processor. You'd be better off leaving ram as is and go with an i7 6700 and call it a day.

Solution

ruffpl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
I just need it for internet and simple 3d games on integrated gpu. Maybe my daughter will get it for her own and my son will get Z board with f.ex some i7 6700 es for future needs. Does integrated graphic work well on them (for now it is just for youtube and minecrafts, roblox and other stuff/ better gpu after couple years)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Minecraft and Roblox are more cpu bound games than graphics. Mods can change that however. Not happy with performance? Faster ram can help, both cpu compute and igpu. Trying to run 4000 ram stable though is probably going to be a challenge.