[SOLVED] i5 6600 bottlenecking 2070

Jan 29, 2019
I recently put a 2070 gpu into my system and I am wondering if my cpu is bottle necking my gpu. My cpu is an i5 6600 non k. I am looking at upgrading to a ryzen 5 2600. Would this be the right move?

Solution
In some CPU heavy games, the 6600 will hold back the 2070. In games that are not CPU heavy, then it wont.

While I like the 2600 and it is a good CPU, in your case I would not go for it. I would look for a used 6700/7700. If you have a "z" board, then you can go for a "k" CPU, if not then I would go with the non "k" chip.

They will have enough threads for CPU heavy games and have better single threaded performance than a 2600. You will also not need a new mobo as they will drop into your current board. If you go for a 7th gen CPU, you will need a bios update, but that is pretty straight forward.
In some CPU heavy games, the 6600 will hold back the 2070. In games that are not CPU heavy, then it wont.

While I like the 2600 and it is a good CPU, in your case I would not go for it. I would look for a used 6700/7700. If you have a "z" board, then you can go for a "k" CPU, if not then I would go with the non "k" chip.

They will have enough threads for CPU heavy games and have better single threaded performance than a 2600. You will also not need a new mobo as they will drop into your current board. If you go for a 7th gen CPU, you will need a bios update, but that is pretty straight forward.

Solution

Update the bios and upgrade to an i7-7700k