[SOLVED] i5 6600 Upgrade To I5 9400f ?

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello,

currently I got i5 6600, 8gb ram, GA-H110M-S2H and I was wondering if I upgrade to i5 9400f is worth it. I want it for just a regular 1080p gaming, i5 6600 is not that bad for 1080p but i wonder if i5 9400f will have better performance.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
It would not be worth it at all, in my opinion. There will be some newer games where the additional cores can help smooth performance, but in terms of performance per core, the 9400F isn't all that much faster than what you have. Even with a high-end graphics card running at a moderate resolution like 1080p, where performance is primarily CPU limited, I wouldn't expect more than a 10% uplift to average gaming performance.

With a card like a 1050 Ti, there would likely be nearly no difference in performance in the vast majority of recent games, since your performance will be limited by your graphics hardware more than anything. It wouldn't be worth spending more than $200 on for a new CPU and motherboard. I agree that putting that...
Hello,

currently I got i5 6600, 8gb ram, GA-H110M-S2H and I was wondering if I upgrade to i5 9400f is worth it. I want it for just a regular 1080p gaming, i5 6600 is not that bad for 1080p but i wonder if i5 9400f will have better performance.

Thanks for your help!
Depends on your gpu.
If you're not gpu limited (GTX 1080 or faster), the jump will be noticeable and worth it if you have a +144hz monitor.
Keep in mind you need a new motherboard for the i5 9400f.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Depends on your gpu.
If you're not gpu limited (GTX 1080 or faster), the jump will be noticeable and worth it if you have a +144hz monitor.
Keep in mind you need a new motherboard for the i5 9400f.
Oh my bad I forgot to say. I got Gigabyte 1050 Ti 4GB as a gpu, I know that I am gonna need a new motherboard and ram. Thanks for your reply !

It would not be worth it at all, in my opinion. There will be some newer games where the additional cores can help smooth performance, but in terms of performance per core, the 9400F isn't all that much faster than what you have. Even with a high-end graphics card running at a moderate resolution like 1080p, where performance is primarily CPU limited, I wouldn't expect more than a 10% uplift to average gaming performance.

With a card like a 1050 Ti, there would likely be nearly no difference in performance in the vast majority of recent games, since your performance will be limited by your graphics hardware more than anything. It wouldn't be worth spending more than $200 on for a new CPU and motherboard. I agree that putting that money toward a graphics card in that price range (like a GTX 1660) would be far more beneficial, likely doubling your performance in many titles when the graphics settings are turned up.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's always a benefit to upgrade to a stronger cpu. Moving from the i5-6600 to an i7-7700k will show a slight improvement in possible fps at 4 threads or lower games, and a decent improvement on games that use 5-8 threads.

But that's really not the question. The question should be is it worth the cost. On ebay, the 6600 is selling for less than $100, the i7 is closer to $300, so @ a $200 investment for 5+ fps.

It's a question only you can answer, because while the 9400f is faster at 6 threads or less, it's also going to require a new motherboard and more than likely another 8Gb of ram, just to alleviate restrictions.

This is the single biggest issue facing i5 owners, the pc works, but not as good as they'd like, but moving up costs more than they'd want to spend.

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
It's always a benefit to upgrade to a stronger cpu. Moving from the i5-6600 to an i7-7700k will show a slight improvement in possible fps at 4 threads or lower games, and a decent improvement on games that use 5-8 threads.

But that's really not the question. The question should be is it worth the cost. On ebay, the 6600 is selling for less than $100, the i7 is closer to $300, so @ a $200 investment for 5+ fps.

It's a question only you can answer, because while the 9400f is faster at 6 threads or less, it's also going to require a new motherboard and more than likely another 8Gb of ram, just to alleviate restrictions.

This is the single biggest issue facing i5 owners, the pc works, but not as good as they'd like, but moving up costs more than they'd want to spend.
Thanks for your reply appreciate your help!

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

With a card like a 1050 Ti, there would likely be nearly no difference in performance in the vast majority of recent games, since your performance will be limited by your graphics hardware more than anything. It wouldn't be worth spending more than $200 on for a new CPU and motherboard. I agree that putting that money toward a graphics card in that price range (like a GTX 1660) would be far more beneficial, likely doubling your performance in many titles when the graphics settings are turned up.
Thank you for your reply ! Appreciate your help !

Problem is, at today's prices the 7700K option (and a cooler for it) cost as much as an R5-3600 and a mainboard...which would be my choice over a 9400F, which is somewhat thread challenged at only 6 threads... (The 9700K's 8 real cores are quite strong, and it is a bit faster if/when given a 2080 or above for a GPU, of course)

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Problem is, at today's prices the 7700K option (and a cooler for it) cost as much as an R5-3600 and a mainboard...which would be my choice over a 9400F, which is somewhat thread challenged at only 6 threads... (The 9700K's 8 real cores are quite strong, and it is a bit faster if/when given a 2080 or above for a GPU, of course)
Great! Thanks for your help appreciate it a lot !