i5-6600 vs i5-6600k overclocking

likes0079

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hello Tom's,
I am stuck with the choice between 6600 and 6600k.

Since almost all manufacturers released their modded bios to support bclk oc for non-k edition.
I am building a new fully watercooled skylake system with Asus z170 M8I and g.skill ripjawz V ram.
Should I pick a 6600 and try out the bclk oc that I've never done it b4
or
just stick with the regular multiplier method?

I am planning to run my OC 24/7 stable and with no needing of turbo and c-state.

Solution
The only reason to get 6600 over 6600K is the reduced price. You are investing in a liquid cooling system -- you obviously aren't hurting for money and you already know for a fact that you will be overclocking.

I tried BCLK overclocking and it was a major pain in the butt. I followed guides and adjusted the settings they told me to, but I never seemed to be able to find an overclock I was happy with.

A big part of it was because the FCLK setting doesn't work on my ASUS Maximus VIII Gene mainboard, so at the higher BCLK overclocks it was either way underclocked or way overclocked and I couldn't set it manually.

Anyway, I just went back to 100MHz BCLK and used the multiplier. Much less hassle.
The only reason to get 6600 over 6600K is the reduced price. You are investing in a liquid cooling system -- you obviously aren't hurting for money and you already know for a fact that you will be overclocking.

I tried BCLK overclocking and it was a major pain in the butt. I followed guides and adjusted the settings they told me to, but I never seemed to be able to find an overclock I was happy with.

A big part of it was because the FCLK setting doesn't work on my ASUS Maximus VIII Gene mainboard, so at the higher BCLK overclocks it was either way underclocked or way overclocked and I couldn't set it manually.

Anyway, I just went back to 100MHz BCLK and used the multiplier. Much less hassle.

Solution

likes0079

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

Good info thx, I totally forgot to mention all this is for the fun of doing it. There's really no need of needing this rig to do any job that justify its spending.
I am just curious about non-k OC to geek myself out, but at the same time worrying modded bios and the stability.