[SOLVED] i5 6600k: 1 core runs very hot during gaming

peke12

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I recently changed an I5 6600 to an i5 6600K. (to be able to overclock my processor)
my motherboard: MSI Z170A PC Mate.
I have overclocked the i5 6600k to 4.3Mhz at 1.300 v
cooler: coolermaster hyper 212.
temps are reasonable ok, but there is 1 core that runs significantly higher in temp than the other cores.
example:
When I run Resident evil 2 I have following temps:
cpu1: 56°c
cpu2: 70°c
cpu3: 54°c
cpu4: 55°c

idle temps are:
cpu1: 33°c
cpu2: 38°c
cpu3: 31°c
cpu4: 31°c

Anybody an idea why this is and how I might fix it?
Do I need to reinstall drivers?

Solution
Thank you all for the replies.
would turning down the voltage help against heating up? (providing the system remains stable)

Yes :)
Lower voltage = lower temp.

Try to aim for as low voltage as possible while stabel. For 4.3 GHZ maby 1.25 voltage is enough instead of 1.3 voltage? Try :) Could lower temps by 5 celcius.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My understanding is that this isn't super uncommon. Both Jayz Two Cents and "the long haired dude" (mental block on his channel) on Tube describe this often in light of OC videos and cooling...particularly in their friendly war for the highest benchmark scores.

You could check to see if the cooler paste is well distributed....could lap the cooler and CPU but it surely wouldn't guarantee it remedies the situation.

peke12

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
My understanding is that this isn't super uncommon. Both Jayz Two Cents and "the long haired dude" (mental block on his channel) on Tube describe this often in light of OC videos and cooling...particularly in their friendly war for the highest benchmark scores.

You could check to see if the cooler paste is well distributed....could lap the cooler and CPU but it surely wouldn't guarantee it remedies the situation.
Thanks for your reply.
I already removed the cooler, made sure everything is mounted correctly and redistributed thermal paste.
Still the same result.

Which Tube videos are you referring to?

Jan 20, 2020
I have i7-6700k which is also a skylake processor. I have the same results as you. This is the temps after 30 minutes of gaming in Warzone on maxed out settings :
Core1=62
Core2=78
Core3=59
Core4=59

I have been doing some research. It seems pretty common that Core 2 runs hotter than the others.
I think delidding is the only option. Anyhow either your temps 70 or my temps 78 is any dangerous. I wouldnt care to much.

The cores are located in different places.
Some do not have equal access to the cooling of the lid.
So long as you do not throttle, I would not do anything about it.
Professional delidding might help overall cooling and cost you $50 but core 2 is always going to be hotter than others.

Jan 20, 2020
Thank you all for the replies.
would turning down the voltage help against heating up? (providing the system remains stable)

Yes :)
Lower voltage = lower temp.

Try to aim for as low voltage as possible while stabel. For 4.3 GHZ maby 1.25 voltage is enough instead of 1.3 voltage? Try :) Could lower temps by 5 celcius.

Reactions: peke12
Solution