Question i5 6600k always at 100% when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
So today i loaded up destiny 2 for the first time, after just having aquired a 5700 xt I was eager to the performance ingame, but was left dissapointed when the game kept stuttering due to what i assume is the cpus fault. When i checked task manager the cpu were running at 100% constantly. While my friend with a 1070 and a i5 7400 ran the game with no problem at all. I thought the 6600k was better or at least at the same level as the 7400, so how come my cpu stays at 100% while his breezes through it? The cpu is clocked at 3,9 ghz if that helps. So what i am wondering about is there any fix for this or what could be the problem? Im not running loads of background programs, only things such as discord, chrome, and programs for accessories such as razer synapse and corsair icue.

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
I was just thinking, you should download and run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab to find your memory brand and model. It might be a higher end model that you haven't changed the speed and timings on. Also, nobody asked, but are you running the game off an SSD or a HDD. Do you know the brand and model of your SSD or HDD?
The ram is hyperx ddr4 2134 mhz and manufactured by kingston
Im running it of an Intel 660p m.2 ssd

InvalidError

Titan
An SSD won't save you if swapping is the root cause of your stuttering. Also, if significant swapping is happening and you have the swapfile on the SSD, the never-ending stream of writes can considerably shorten the SSD's lifespan.

How much RAM does your friend's 7400 that you are comparing stutters with have?

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
An SSD won't save you if swapping is the root cause of your stuttering. Also, if significant swapping is happening and you have the swapfile on the SSD, the never-ending stream of writes can considerably shorten the SSD's lifespan.

How much RAM does your friend's 7400 that you are comparing stutters with have?
he also has 8 gigs

The ram is hyperx ddr4 2134 mhz and manufactured by kingston
Im running it of an Intel 660p m.2 ssd
I think the Intel 660p actually has an issue with getting slow when filled up. I think I read it in a review, but I can't be sure. I'll have to go find it if I can. I would do a directory move off the SSD to a HDD if you have one and see if you still get stutter or if it gets worse.

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
I think the Intel 660p actually has an issue with getting slow when filled up. I think I read it in a review, but I can't be sure. I'll have to go find it if I can. I would do a directory move off the SSD to a HDD if you have one and see if you still get stutter or if it gets worse.
It has 664 gigs of free space, and when playing less demanding games when the cpu isnt running at 100% I get no stutter at all. So i dont think it should be the ssd which is causing the problem

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
660p drives use slow qlc nand with a fast and very large SLC cache. Once the SLC fills up the drive is slower.

Any SSD gets slow when full. I have had a full SSD cause a system to be so slow I couldn't even load Windows.
Oh i didnt know that, ill keep that in mind when it begins to fill up thanks for the info :)

Zykrim

Reputable
May 16, 2016
How did you go limiting fps?

BF is an extreme example because of how cpu intensive it is, but, informative video nonetheless explaining bit about fps and cpu usage.
How did you go limiting fps?

BF is an extreme example because of how cpu intensive it is, but, informative video nonetheless explaining bit about fps and cpu usage.
It actually helped a lot! The stutters happens way less now (if at all), though it still worries me the cpu is running near 100%, Because of that i would still want to upgrade my cpu, but this worked great for now until the time i do upgrade. So thanks alot! :D

Instead of locking fps to 60, you could download AMD Wattman and try underclocking and lowering power limit of your RX 5700XT down to a GTX 1070/ Vega 56 level of performance. Obviously locking fps is easy, but it might be possible to get higher fps without stutter.

In Destiny 2 with Hyper-threading disabled on my i7-2600k for testing, I get no stutter, but I also only have a GTX 1070.