[SOLVED] i5-6600k bottleneck causing stuttering in games

Mar 4, 2019
Ever since i upgraded my gpu i have been experiencing micro stuttering in games like the witcher 3, watch dogs 2, insurgency sandstorm, overwatch, and rise of the tomb raider. When micro stuttering occurs my cpu usage is between 80% and 100%. I reinstalled windows 10 and still did not resolve my issue.
My specs:
Windows 10 home 64bit
i5 6600k 4.2 Ghz Oc
gtx 1070 sc
16gb ddr4 2400mhz
480gb pny ssd
1tb samsung evo 860 m.2 ssd
1tb seagate barracuda
asus maximus viii ranger
cooler master hyper 212 evo
corsair 650w psu

Solution
well, I know you said you can't afford a new motherboard and cpu, but it's going to cost about the same amount of money getting an i7 upgrade for your motherboard vs going to ryzen 1600/1700 and b350 mobo or something similar. Ryzen 2nd gen really wasn't a very big jump from first, it's clocked higher but only maybe 1-3% better ipc, I've been content with my 1700 so I haven't dipped super into 2nd gen details, I do heard 3000 series is going to be great though.

best for your mobo would be 7700k, which is like $350 used on ebay, or the 6700k which is around ~$250-275 on ebay.

6700k would cost about the same as ryzen 1700 has been lately+a decent mobo of...
4 cores 4 threads isn't enough anymore. A quick fix would be to see if you can get a core i7 for cheap. I think you can use either 6th or 7th gen intel cpu's, like the 6700k or 7700k. Just update the bios first. However, looking at the prices of even use K series CPU's, you might be better off just buying a B350 or B450 motherboard and Ryzen 2600x for the same amount of money.

But also, your overclock may also be a little unstable. Try bumping over the cpu core voltage 0.05 or 0.10 volts to see if stability improves.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
4 cores 4 threads definitely isn't cutting it these days anymore, ryzen 1700 have been seen cheap around online lately only around ~150-160, maybe 1600 6c/12t can be found cheap too. All you'd need is a ryzen cpu and decent b350 motherboard since you already have ddr4. I made the jump from an old i7 2600k last year to a ryzen 1700 I now have at 3.7ghz, which is great and completely overkill, even on the stock speeds it instantly smoothed out every game even while multitasking. The i7 was good once OC'd, but the old z68 asus mobo I have for it sucked with no vrm so it was throttling and crashing.

years ago I was using a 4c/4t i5 3570k, that thing got eaten alive in Battlefield 1 64 player multiplayer online matches, nonetheless trying to multitask and stream

there's a reason 4c/4t got demoted to the i3 line now with the i3 8100 and the i5's are now 6 core, 8700k being 6c/12t. Intel all these years later do a bit better still in single thread stuff but ryzen massively closed the gap. Ryzen are still haswell level ipc or a bit better iirc.

While I agree a quad core is getting a bit long in the tooth, I don't think that is your problem. I was running a 4.3ghz i5-3570k with a GTX 1070 and did not see these stutters in Witcher 3 so can't imagine that you should either. I was running at 1440p/144hz with gsync tho so it might have obfuscated any stuttering.

Does it still stutter if you either crank the eye candy up or use higher DSR to the point the GPU is at 100% and the CPU stays below 80-ish?

Might try turning off HPET (see Google for steps). Helps some, doesn't help others.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
4 cores 4 threads definitely isn't cutting it these days anymore, ryzen 1700 have been seen cheap around online lately only around ~150-160, maybe 1600 6c/12t can be found cheap too. All you'd need is a ryzen cpu and decent b350 motherboard since you already have ddr4. I made the jump from an old i7 2600k last year to a ryzen 1700 I now have at 3.7ghz, which is great and completely overkill, even on the stock speeds it instantly smoothed out every game even while multitasking. The i7 was good once OC'd, but the old z68 asus mobo I have for it sucked with no vrm so it was throttling and crashing.

years ago I was using a 4c/4t i5 3570k, that thing got eaten alive in Battlefield 1 64 player multiplayer online matches, nonetheless trying to multitask and stream

there's a reason 4c/4t got demoted to the i3 line now with the i3 8100 and the i5's are now 6 core, 8700k being 6c/12t. Intel all these years later do a bit better still in single thread stuff but ryzen massively closed the gap. Ryzen are still haswell level ipc or a bit better iirc.

In point of fact, my 4770k@4.5 GHz scores EXACTLY 2610 CPU marks at Passmark Single Threaded Benchmark.

Proof below:

SDeJpon.jpg

A Ryzen 2700X@4.3 GHz scores EXACTLY 2,194 CPU marks at Passmark Single Threaded Benchmark.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

So NOT ONLY it ain't NOT EVEN CLOSE to the single-threaded performance of an Haswell, but it LAGS SIGNIFICANTLY BEHIND IT.

Just settin' the record straight man, I just hate misinformation being spread from the "RYZEN IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO MANKIND AFTER PENICILLIN" kind of people.

Mar 4, 2019
While I agree a quad core is getting a bit long in the tooth, I don't think that is your problem. I was running a 4.3ghz i5-3570k with a GTX 1070 and did not see these stutters in Witcher 3 so can't imagine that you should either. I was running at 1440p/144hz with gsync tho so it might have obfuscated any stuttering.

Does it still stutter if you either crank the eye candy up or use higher DSR to the point the GPU is at 100% and the CPU stays below 80-ish?

Might try turning off HPET (see Google for steps). Helps some, doesn't help others.
Last time i checked I tried with maxed out settings and low settings and still had the same issue. I havent tried it with dsr though. What do you think should be my dsr settings?

Mar 4, 2019
4 cores 4 threads isn't enough anymore. A quick fix would be to see if you can get a core i7 for cheap. I think you can use either 6th or 7th gen intel cpu's, like the 6700k or 7700k. Just update the bios first. However, looking at the prices of even use K series CPU's, you might be better off just buying a B350 or B450 motherboard and Ryzen 2600x for the same amount of money.

But also, your overclock may also be a little unstable. Try bumping over the cpu core voltage 0.05 or 0.10 volts to see if stability improves.
I cant afford to get a new motherboard and cpu at the moment but ill try a higher voltage.

Does your framerate change going for Ultra to Low or stay the same? Skip on the DSR for now.

Have you checked to verify the CPU is hitting your specified OC and staying there? Might try putting everything (except XMP) at stock to see if that changes anything as well.

Did you try turning off HPET?

Mar 4, 2019
Fps sta
Does your framerate change going for Ultra to Low or stay the same? Skip on the DSR for now.

Have you checked to verify the CPU is hitting your specified OC and staying there? Might try putting everything (except XMP) at stock to see if that changes anything as well.

Did you try turning off HPET?
Fps stays the same on ultra and low and I have not turned off HPET, but I will later today. Does task manager work to verify the clock speed or should I use another program?

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
well, I know you said you can't afford a new motherboard and cpu, but it's going to cost about the same amount of money getting an i7 upgrade for your motherboard vs going to ryzen 1600/1700 and b350 mobo or something similar. Ryzen 2nd gen really wasn't a very big jump from first, it's clocked higher but only maybe 1-3% better ipc, I've been content with my 1700 so I haven't dipped super into 2nd gen details, I do heard 3000 series is going to be great though.

best for your mobo would be 7700k, which is like $350 used on ebay, or the 6700k which is around ~$250-275 on ebay.

6700k would cost about the same as ryzen 1700 has been lately+a decent mobo of ~$100
7700k would be even more expensive than 1700+$100 mobo setup.

if it's stuttering no matter the settings and even once OC'd, I think the 4c/4t is finally just tapping out, I noticed the same years ago with an OC'd 3570k in BF1's multiplayer online.

I don't think it was this topic per se but in another recently some user said they didn't have any stuttering with a 4c/4t i5 in battlefield but then admitted they only ever played single player which is much less demanding than those big multiplayer servers. I implore people saying a 4c/4t is fine these days to hop into big 64player servers and see how their cpu does, nonetheless ever trying to multitask or stream on top of that.

Solution