I5-6600k Bottlenecking in games causing stuttering

Sep 25, 2018
okay hello, so ive had this problem for a long time now that sometimes in games my cpu will just start bottlenecking at 100% causing stuttering, its a 6600k OC at 4.2ghz @ 1.25v from memory, only stable voltage i can get on it. when i open task manager and check whats using the cpu its mainly the game at about 90%, with the remaining being discord and that sort of crap, however sometimes the % doesnt add up and theres missing % that doesnt add to 100% i have done a million different virus scans on every known antivirus to check for that. To fix the issue ill have to restart my pc and it will usually run good after that for a fair while, temps dont get past 60 degrees C either. really at a loss what to do because even games like CSGO will start bottlenecking at drop below 144fps and stutter. GPU is a 970, 16gm of ram. This has only really been an issue since i changed mobos a year or so ago when the last one fried. ive done score checks on cinebench 15 with everything closed and i get 695 scores. any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Get rid of unwanted applications while gaming. Kill any task that is not needed. Keep in mind that an i5 will drop below 144 fps, that doesn't look strange to me, unless you are talking about huge drops. If you want to avoid the stutter you can lock your framerate around your lows.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed on Windows reinstall after a mobo swap.

Since the problem started has there been other differences added to your system? Like monitor, graphics card? Or has your system stayed the same the whole time besides mobo?

Just an experiment for you to try, if you can reply usage numbers at different frame rates.

Using Msi afterburner osd usage numbers, start by capping your frame rate to 60 then 85, 100 and so forth, see if you can get an idea on cpu usage as you increase frame rate to maximum.

Sep 25, 2018
yeah new windows was installed and even on a new drive at the time of a new mobo, besides that everything else has stayed the same. yeah will give that a go cheers

Get rid of unwanted applications while gaming. Kill any task that is not needed. Keep in mind that an i5 will drop below 144 fps, that doesn't look strange to me, unless you are talking about huge drops. If you want to avoid the stutter you can lock your framerate around your lows.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
^we're getting to that, just need to see numbers first. But you're probably right though, the probable extra processes currently taking away that little bit more than previously which means his cpu was very close to maxing out but never noticed until it was a problem.