Prominent
May 17, 2017
I have recently built my own pc here is a run down of what I am running:-

i5 6600k
msi z270 motherboard
32gb ram
cosair cpu cooler h100i v2
msi geforce 980 ti

I Have been running this PC at over a week now and noticed that idle temps sit at 45-50 not putting any load on it. I was playing a game motorsport manager which isn't to my knowledge a demanding game for computer settings.

After 3-4 hours of playing the temps spiked to 99 according the led Temp on the top right hand corner of my motherboard. This has confused me as surely my computer would have shut down under those temps and also has me worried that I haven't got my cpu cooler and fan's set up correctly. I have downloaded the corsair link application and seen that it can be run in a performance mode but I don't know if this will solve my problems in the long term?

I know a lot of you suggest the first thing to do is to re-apply thermal paste but surely that wouldn't affect me as the CPU cooler has this pre-applied when mounting on top of CPU.

Could my CPU cooler be faulty or do I need to adjust settings, it would be great if anyone could
shed some light on what is best action to take, I can also do my best to provide anymore information. I did contact Corsair support and sent them details and screenshots of temps and they just notified me they would replace it which isn't helpful from my point of view because I don't know if there is something that can be changed in settings that will bring my Temps down.

Solution
Intel graphics are no good for gaming but i usually leave them on so that if your GPU dies (which i have had happen) it will fall back to them and you can still get a display. To set it up properly go into the bios and set the graphics option to PCI-E and it should go to your dedicated GPU by default
There are several possibilities here ranging from simple to fix to expensive.

Before anything else though make sure you turn off any overclocks you have if this solves the problem then your done
otherwise here are some possibilities.

1: you lack enough airflow to take advantage of the radiator fully. if you have too few fans or they are blocked you can loose a lot of performance from your cooler.
2: you have the cooler plugged into the wrong fan header. If your cpu fans are plugged into a case fan header instead of the CPU header they will not throttle with the CPU temp and thus not produce enough airflow
3: you have badly applied thermal paste. Corsair coolers have good quality thermal compound so the only issue would be if you mounted the cooler poorly for example if it is not tightened down properly you will loose performance.
4: cooler problems. It is possible your pump is not working right or part of the radiator is clogged or there is an air bubble in the line or a whole host of issues. Once you have eliminated the previous problems then you should consider this. I would recommend trying out the stock intel heatsink and see if you have issues still. if you do it is possible you have a problem with your cpu.

DanLambGaming

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Hi,
Firstly thank you for replying I appreciate that, I have managed to get some help from a very helpful support guy from corsair on twitter, he told me that pump was barely working and that I needed to look at rpm inside my BIOS and set pump settings to max. I have since gone into my Bios and looked a CPU cooler settings and seen basically not running, I changed the mode From Auto to PWM I am not sure what the difference it, but it just kicked into life and brought my CPU temp straight down 25 when it was 50 at idle before so pretty sure that has done the trick.

The only thing I need to do now is look at the Y splitter cable in the back of my case to see where I have connected these properly, as one fan mounted to the radiator in the top of my case is working and the one isn't working. This is all a learning curve for me but getting there now. Please tell me if you can enlighten me as to what mode I have switched into is alright and let know to change it if otherwise.

Once this is sorted I should be able to control fan speeds through Corsair Link application.

Everyone has to start somewhere so never feel bad about not being well versed yet
Ideally both of your radiator fans should be tied to the same header.
I am not sure exactly which motherboard you have but looking at the MSI Z270-A which is the cheapest full ATX board of that name you should have a CPU fan header and a pump fan header. make sure the 4 pin connector from the pump block is in the pump header and use the splitter to connect the radiator fans to the CPU fan header and not two separate system fan headers. most BIOS set your CPU fans to run related to the CPU temperature while the system fan headers run on a fan curve which is based off of temperatures from several components such as VWM modules CPU GPU Memory and more.

DanLambGaming

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Since you were on here answering my question, I Thought I would ask you another one if you don't mind? I played the same game again recently and the frame rate started to stutter, I checked in Steam and it was trying to run off the intel graphics chipset instead of my Graphics card.

So I went into device and disable the intel graphics so it just run's off my graphics card and ran the game again with no issue's, I am assuming that long term there is no disadvantage to disabling the intel chipset?

Kind Regards,
Dan

Intel graphics are no good for gaming but i usually leave them on so that if your GPU dies (which i have had happen) it will fall back to them and you can still get a display. To set it up properly go into the bios and set the graphics option to PCI-E and it should go to your dedicated GPU by default

Solution