i5 6600k Extreme Overheat

nbro444

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Just yesterday I was installing my new watercooler (H100i v2) and I booted up my computer but nothing happened. I kept it on for about two minutes when I heard a pop similar to a quiet fire cracker and then a burning smell. I immediately shut the pc off. I found that the three pin power connector for the cooler was not connected so plugged it in and then booted back up. This time I only got to about the loading screen before it shut off. I felt the cpu cooler and back plate only to find that they were extremely hot. I assume that the cpu overheated bad because it now cannot get past a few minutes of operation. Is my cpu faulty for heating up that quick? In the past it’s gotten very hot in just idle, however, back then I was not aware 90c was an extremely hot idle temperature.
Do I need to buy a new cpu?

Burning smell? Not having the pump plugged in won't damage it as it will downclock itself, at least the block was transferring some heat. The pop could of been something on the motherboard possibly. If you have a stock cooler laying around see if it posts. Pump itself could also be dead.