SnowTheMedic

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
i have a i5-6600k 16gb ram GTX 1070
and whenever i play any game i keep getting frame drops i had 3 different gpus
GTX 750ti
GTX 970
GTX1070
While i had my i5-6600k i have a 1080p 144hz monitor tho i didnt have the drops with my 60hz monitor

Solution
Other things to consider if need be: the disc the games are installed to. If they're HDDs, then you could consider defragging them to see if there's any help in performance. (Not if it's an SSD though.)

Some games are quite sensitive to other background programs, that might be a consideration too.
Very broad, perhaps too broad. From what I can tell, you previously played games using a 60Hz monitor, but now use a 144Hz monitor. Is this correct?

Secondly, did these frame drops occur only after using the 144Hz monitor?

If, yes, to both questions then I believe there isn't anything wrong as such. If you get, for example, 80fps in a game and a minimum of 70fps; the 60Hz monitor can only display 60 frames a second anyway; it can't refresh any quicker so you wouldn't see any drop as such.

A 144Hz monitor will display this difference, and you would likely notice a difference in 10fps. (A 144Hz monitor can refresh at 144 frames a second.)

Unless there is something you haven't shared which is relevant to performance, the current evidence doesn't suggest a technical problem.

SnowTheMedic

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

yes, it did start when i got my 144hz monitor and my 1070 i tried my brother's 980 ti and it was still the same when i play a game like bf4 i would get around 100 frames on 1080p but it goes down to 70 when it does that it freeze's the screen it happens a lot even when in small maps on ultra i tired to lower the settings to high and medium but it was the same

i play with v sync on most of the games i play since i have a 144hz monitor

Seems like a setting issue to me and not a hardware issue as such.

Following on from my assumptions above and now with the information about frame rates and vsync...

Vsync tries to synchronise your GPU's output to your monitor's refresh rate; i.e., it locks the fps to the refresh rate of the monitor (144 in your case).

Suppose you get 120fps maximum in a game with vsync on.
You have an output of 120 frames a second.
Your monitor has a refresh of 144 frames a second.
Vsync takes your output (whatever it may be) and fits it into your monitor's refresh rate. (120 into 144.)
There are 24 frames of animation missing.
Those 120 frames now have to fit into 1 second.
Result: repeated frames causing a momentary freeze (or similar filling in techniques to accommodate the missing frames).

As such, I would suggest you try playing games without vsync and see if there's a difference. As it stands (with what you've mentioned), your set up is not giving you fps to surpass the refresh rate of your monitor.

SnowTheMedic

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

oh man im stupid i was playing bf4 on 60hz that's why it looked shit to me but still doesn't explain i keep getting low frames from time to time

SnowTheMedic

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

As i said i tried playing in different settings but no difference still have frame drop

I was unclear, but it was the monitor settings and vsync I was referring to. Adjusting in game settings isn't quite the same as those global settings as it were. That would be the next step as far as I'm concerned.

If things still freeze and it really has nothing to do with the explanation about fps, monitor refresh and vsync, then you may need to look at other aspects which you haven't mentioned thus far, namely temperatures of your components.

SnowTheMedic

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

temps are normal as far as i know GPU on load is 50-67C on 50% fan speed or even less cpu goes up to 50 on load and 30 on idle ill try to change some settings

Other things to consider if need be: the disc the games are installed to. If they're HDDs, then you could consider defragging them to see if there's any help in performance. (Not if it's an SSD though.)

Some games are quite sensitive to other background programs, that might be a consideration too.

Solution