Question i5 6600k is it broke ?

baileybarnes316

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
When i try to play Rainbow 6 and talking to people on discord the voices will lag and they cant hear me. I cant watch Netflix on google cause the audio and video de-sinc... im pretty sure my cpu is dying i just bought a gtx 1070 within the last 6 months.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
GPU: GeForce Gtx 1070 ti
MOBO: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170
RAM: Ballistix Sport 16 Gb
SSD: Evo 500 GB
HHD: 1 TB

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well till this day i have the same issue as yours, but when i play and use discord voice chat to play with my friends, it just keeps freezing the sound and then my pc would freeze for a second or two, no idea what is the fix until today.
Razer said that the mic is the issue but i really couldn't be bothered to RMA my headset and pay for shipping.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Yea, somehow I doubt the cpu is a fault here unless there's more to the story we haven't been told yet. You could always loop the intel diagnostics overnight and odds are if the cpu is bad it will flag it as such.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well try to reinstall the audio drivers for whatever headset you have, try to reinstall realtech as well.
Also check your device manager, see if your headset has a yellow triangle on it, mine had one and when i disabled the driver and reenabled it, it worked just fine, for sometime.

baileybarnes316

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
i have 300+ download and 15 upload not my internet lol. Its the computer because it runs slow when i stress it with games and youtube.
cpu runs at 30% just trying to watch Netflix

baileybarnes316

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Corsair CX Series 500 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
on pc part picker it said 500 would be enough... but im not sure whats wrong. is the cpu not enough in 2019 ?

Last edited:
When i try to play Rainbow 6 and talking to people on discord the voices will lag and they cant hear me. I cant watch Netflix on google cause the audio and video de-sinc... im pretty sure my cpu is dying i just bought a gtx 1070 within the last 6 months.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
GPU: GeForce Gtx 1070 ti
MOBO: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170
RAM: Ballistix Sport 16 Gb
SSD: Evo 500 GB
HHD: 1 TB

CPU is one of the least likely things to fail on a computer and it would cause sudden reboots or crashes, not slow audio or discord chat issues.

Now a virus or some other misbehaving software would cause all those issues.

Try a clean Windows setup on the system and see if that clears up the issues.

Corsair CX Series 500 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
on pc part picker it said 500 would be enough... but im not sure whats wrong. is the cpu not enough in 2019 ?

Ok there are two versions of the CX. The very cheap, bad, old version which had problems when operating above 30C, and the new, better, improved, updated version rated for 50C. What year did you buy it, do you remember? If it's the old version, it explains why you started having trouble soon after you installed your graphics card.

Corsair only rated the old CX's for 30C, knowing they had put low quality capacitors into the secondary filter stage that were very sensitive to heat. As summer arrives, we see dozens of these problems every day as the dielectric in those caps evaporates and your 12v rail goes from looking like -------- to looking like ~~~~~~

Last edited:
The new CX line doesnt come in 500w. It comes in 450, 550, 650, so on.
Look at the power supply.
Does it have green letters on it or grey letters?
Green=bad
Grey=good
The old ones were bad, however i dont think they would cause this issue.

I would reinstall audio drivers and try with a different set of speakers.
30% cpu for netflix doesnt sound abnormal for a 4t cpu. Make sure you run a malware check.

Reactions: damric