Question i5 6600K keeps bluescreening even tho not overheating

Jan 19, 2020
I have a i5 6600K that I have overclocked to 4.4Ghz perfectly stable...

I'm trying to get it to 4.6.. I have a ASrock board with Bios that already has overclock tools in place.. so I'm just selecting the next step up to 4.6 for the CPU overclock.. Every time I choose the 4.6 setting it will give me a bluescreen after about 30 seconds just sitting at desktop.. But the cpu is not getting hot at all. The temperature doesn't get above 40C so why would it always be giving me a bluescreen? Can it be my PSU being too low or something? 400wats...

Jan 19, 2020
What are your complete system specs?

i5 6600K / 4.4 Ghz
ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 motherboard
GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
16GB ram DDR4 3200
Windows 10

For PSU - it says MODEL SL-F400. Soly Tech. It came with an older pre built system I had a long ass time ago. The system runs perfectly fine with it though.

Last edited:
i5 6600K / 4.4 Ghz
ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 motherboard
GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
16GB ram DDR4 3200

For PSU - it says MODEL SL-F400. Soly Tech. It came with an older pre built system I had a long ass time ago. The system runs perfectly fine with it though.
You should have replaced the PSU when you added the GPU. The GTX 1660 Super requires an 8-pin PCIe power connector, your PSU only has a 6-pin. Also, it's not even a true 400W PSU. I'll just say that you are lucky the GTX 1660 Super has a rather low power consumption.

Replace the PSU with something of decent quality. Where are you from? Where would you be buying from?

Reactions: Phaaze88 and mkaafy
it's not necessarily heat, it could be due to RAM limitations, voltage or cache settings.

probably not the PSU as the power consumption difference would be minimal between a stable 4.4GHz and 4.6 at idle or fully utilized for that matter

I have a i5 6600K that I have overclocked to 4.4Ghz perfectly stable...

I'm trying to get it to 4.6.. I have a ASrock board with Bios that already has overclock tools in place.. so I'm just selecting the next step up to 4.6 for the CPU overclock.. Every time I choose the 4.6 setting it will give me a bluescreen after about 30 seconds just sitting at desktop.. But the cpu is not getting hot at all. The temperature doesn't get above 40C so why would it always be giving me a bluescreen? Can it be my PSU being too low or something? 400wats...

Jan 19, 2020
Please watch the language
You should have replaced the PSU when you added the GPU. The GTX 1660 Super requires an 8-pin PCIe power connector, your PSU only has a 6-pin.

I have an 8 pin adapter..

I don't really need more than a 400 wat PSU.. my system doesn't use more than like 315 wats probably..

I'll probably upgrade to a new Ryzen CPU / motherboard in the end of 2020 but right now this <Mod Edit> is still plenty powerful to run any game on ultra settings and get 80-100+ FPS... 4+ y/o CPU still strong as Removed.. granted its OC but still....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 8 pin adapter..

I don't really need more than a 400 wat PSU.. my system doesn't use more than like 315 wats probably..

I'll probably upgrade to a new Ryzen CPU / motherboard in the end of 2020 but right now this <Mod Edit> is still plenty powerful to run any game on ultra settings and get 80-100+ FPS... 4+ y/o CPU still strong as Removed.. granted its OC but still....
You don't even have a 400W PSU. It's a dual-rail PSU with 168W on rail 1 and 180W on rail 2. They should have called it a 350W PSU.

It may not be the PSU that is causing your issue, but that PSU isn't something to use in a gaming/overclocking build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
well whatever it is it works fine lol... I've never had any issues with anything.
But now you're here because you can't seem to overclock the cpu any further...

It came with an older pre built system I had a long ass time ago.
Power supplies degrade over time. That 350w unit isn't even supplying 350w anymore.
Plus, a unit of questionable quality like that one would have a low max operating temperature.
The preinstalled fan probably isn't great either.

That psu could easily be the reason you can't push the cpu any further:
-either it can't handle the additional power draw from another 200mh
-runs just a little too warm, thus dropping it's max output even further
Or both.

Quality over quantity, mate.
Perhaps you shouldn't be laughing it off.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
You never mentioned volts and everyone here stuck on the PSU except just one guy

Try to do 1.41V @ 4.6GHz inside bios, tell me your results. That voltage was just enough for my I7 6700K @ 4.7GHz , meaning that even if your chip is one of the worst possible - it should handle 4.6 at same volts , if it does not then it is PSU I'm afraid.

also, you did mentioned bluescreens, if bluescreen have an error which says SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED , then it's bluescreening due to lack of volts, or lack of combination of volts & temps , you did your overclocking inside a software which often doesn't add enough of volts during auto OC tries mode, that's why it's required to do manual OC inside the bios with the volts which i mentioned, i'm not saying that this PSU is good for today's standards, it's not, but it may be good enough for your situation especially when you have no problems at all at 4.4 , remember, try 4.6 @ 1.41V .

Last edited: