i5 6600k overclock on MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon

Ziggylata

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Ive been trying to overclock my CPU for a few hours and ive run into some dead ends.

Firstly, every time I raise my clock speed, my PC is generally slower as a whole. When I set the clock speed to 4.4GHz for example, the windows 10 login screen took about 5 seconds to load and display, rendering bits and pieces of it before finishing. When I ran it at 4.2GHz it was slower than the system OC default (auto OC'd to 4.1GHz with "Gaming Boost") but still bearable.

I tried reading guides, including Tweaktowns Ultimate Intel Skylake Overclocking Guide and its just, for lack of a better term, in one ear and out the other. Id like if someone explained this kind of stuff in a more simple way so I can at least know the basics and terms and how the terms interact with eachother.

My voltage in the bios for my CPU is "Auto" across the board.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Currently running Aida64 Extreme's CPU stress test and at the 4.1GHz its hovering about 62*C.

EDIT: I modified my CPU Frequency (45) and Ring Frequency (35) and whatnot from my Bios without modifying the base clock speed (100.00), to get a 4.5GHz constantly. My voltage is 1.3 currently. Ive run a benchmark for 20 minutes with Aida64 and done several intensive CPU tests and my highest temperature so far has been 70*C. Im not sure if I should do more but im comfortable with this result for now. Very pleased.

Ziggylata

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I tried messing with voltage and at 1.375 volts and 4.5GHz CPU Frequency and Ring Frequency, it was able to run but it overheated while I was playing a game and not during a stress test.

Anyone have any insight?