Hi all,

i5-6600K Intel CPU
GeForce 960
14 GB RAM (mismatched)
Asus b150m-a d3 (micro-atx)
1TB HDD
500GB Internal SSD (Samsung EVO)
2TB External HDD

I pulled an old dusty computer out and have been trying to clean it up/inside and out,

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home from bootable USB onto formatted internal SSD. Wiped entire old C drive (moved most files to external HDD prior). During Windows installation, after 1st reboot screen, flashed angry Megatrends BIOS error message, "CPU overheating error! Press F1 to enter setup"

I pressed F1 went into BIOS (CPU temp read 80c) and simply reentered my bootable USB media and resumed installation. System normally rebooted again during installation. Yet again BIOS showed same error message, "CPU overheating error! Press F1 to enter setup" I continued, then Windows was finally installed booting off SSD. I downloaded AVG Driver Updater, new BIOS update and Intel drivers. Then CPU-Z/HWMonitor and was shocked my CPU temps were skyrocketing under very light use (CPU util. 5-10%) my CPU fan was running around 2900RPM but temps kept turning red and were hitting 100c morbidly, oh the madness...

I am going to open the system up today and dust it and check all hardware connections. Since CPU is overheating very quickly under minimal use I suspect a disconnected fan/thermal paste etc problem. But this overheating occurred immediately after installing Windows onto my SSD, it never was an issue before, I did not apply or adjust current thermal paste and system sat being used recently no problem. Possible driver issue or Windows.

So I'm kind of lost for words. Maybe CPU doesn't like Windows on SSD, or maybe the empty old 1TB HDD C drive is making it upset? The newly connected 2TB external? Not sure, I'm new. What are your thoughts? I will post update after taking apart system, cleaning and reassembly

Thanks

*CPU does not have any BIOS overclock or adjusted voltages to my knowledge. I believe BIOS said CPUs running at 1.134v? (i'll look into later)

Solution
Great news. It's fixed! *Dust/Disconnected fan

I was really stumped at first. I didn't open the system or move it much prior to clean-installing Windows. But this morning, I opened and pulled everything but the Motherboard out and started cleaning

The CPU's heat sink/fan was completely clogged. Dust coated the bottom of the case. Found additional internal drive I didn't know existed (SATA connector was damaged, thus never connected to system. Was removed). GPU fan was clogged. GPU PCIe connector was slightly bent. I/O shield was configured backwards and prevented GPU from being properly seated. Internal fan was disconnected. Wow wow wow *slow clap...clap... clap clap

After I stuck my head in a Blendtec, I rearranged all...

Phillipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
Great news. It's fixed! *Dust/Disconnected fan

I was really stumped at first. I didn't open the system or move it much prior to clean-installing Windows. But this morning, I opened and pulled everything but the Motherboard out and started cleaning

The CPU's heat sink/fan was completely clogged. Dust coated the bottom of the case. Found additional internal drive I didn't know existed (SATA connector was damaged, thus never connected to system. Was removed). GPU fan was clogged. GPU PCIe connector was slightly bent. I/O shield was configured backwards and prevented GPU from being properly seated. Internal fan was disconnected. Wow wow wow *slow clap...clap... clap clap

After I stuck my head in a Blendtec, I rearranged all cables, cleaned all dust, re-seated RAM properly, adjusted GPU and volia

Running at a cool 30c. Thanks for replying, happy it's fixed

Solution