Question I5 6600k rx 580 8gb

Omoorex

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
Hello new here I'm having trouble running fortnite at a stable 144fps my cpu is 100 percent usage with and i5 6600k?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try dial back your fps or increase details/resolution so fps aren't as high. Your cpu prepares frames for your graphics card and in a lot of games today, quads and in some games even six core cpus are struggling to keep up.

Start with lowering fps to around 60 and monitor cpu usage and increase your frame rate to a comfortable level.

What's the rest of your system specs?

An cpu overclock, maybe faster ram and minimising background programs/services can help. Programs like Discord if you need it, move the process to the last core using affinity in task manager and if running Win10, disable Cortana and Game Bar game recording.

Omoorex

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
Try dial back your fps or increase details/resolution so fps aren't as high. Your cpu prepares frames for your graphics card and in a lot of games today, quads and in some games even six core cpus are struggling to keep up.

Start with lowering fps to around 60 and monitor cpu usage and increase your frame rate to a comfortable level.

What's the rest of your system specs?

An cpu overclock, maybe faster ram and minimising background programs/services can help. Programs like Discord if you need it, move the process to the last core using affinity in task manager and if running Win10, disable Cortana and Game Bar game recording.
16gb ddr4 2133 ram
B250 motherboard
500 watt Power supply
500gb ssd
I have tried everything lowered fps etc updated bios changed power plan.
Last resort is updating cpu but I thought a 6600k would be enough just for fortnite 144fps

Omoorex

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
Cpu usage should drop if you lowered fps. If not then what's your idle usage?
Thank you for reply. It does lower at 60 fps I just want to get the most out of my 144hz monitor. Its worth noting that when I turn my pc on I get an orange dram light come on could that effect performance?

Thank you for reply. It does lower at 60 fps I just want to get the most out of my 144hz monitor. Its worth noting that when I turn my pc on I get an orange dram light come on could that effect performance?
I'm not totally sure, but I think @boju means lower your graphics settings and not the fps. I don't play Fortnite, but I imagine it has a view distance setting. keep that at max and lower everything else gradually until you can maintain mostly 144fps.

Omoorex

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
I'm not totally sure, but I think @boju means lower your graphics settings and not the fps. I don't play Fortnite, but I imagine it has a view distance setting. keep that at max and lower everything else gradually until you can maintain mostly 144fps.
Thank you. If I do that it get higher fps drops... When I turn more things on I get less fps drop its like my cpu is bottleneck ING my 580 which is a bit strange to Me

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Does the Dram light turn off? Dram light briefly on could be just the ram being tested during post - Power on self test. If there was something wrong with your ram your system would be unstable and bsod.

I did mean to lower fps because what happens, the more frames there is = more cpu work in delivering pre-rendered frames. That's why cpu usage dropped when capped to 60.

In modern games where there's more game code stuff that needs to be calculated, quads are finding it tough with 100+ fps. Try find a sweet spot in frame rate vs cpu usage. For example, see what usage is like at 70fps and if it's not maxed out, try 75 and so on. If you had a Z board you could have tried overclocking to improve your cpu's IPC - instructions per clock.

It's six of half dozen. Either cap fps or increase details/resolution scaling in either the game (If Fortnite offers scaling, im not sure) or use Nvidia's DSR to give you higher resolutions in-game so that the graphic card is producing less frames under load. Capping fps would be easier though imo.

What's your cpu temps like while playing?

Omoorex

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
Does the Dram light turn off? Dram light briefly on could be just the ram being tested during post - Power on self test. If there was something wrong with your ram your system would be unstable and bsod.

I did mean to lower fps because what happens, the more frames there is = more cpu work in delivering pre-rendered frames. That's why cpu usage dropped when capped to 60.

In modern games where there's more game code stuff that needs to be calculated, quads are finding it tough with 100+ fps. Try find a sweet spot in frame rate vs cpu usage. For example, see what usage is like at 70fps and if it's not maxed out, try 75 and so on. If you had a Z board you could have tried overclocking to improve your cpu's IPC - instructions per clock.

It's six of half dozen. Either cap fps or increase details/resolution scaling in either the game (If Fortnite offers scaling, im not sure) or use Nvidia's DSR to give you higher resolutions in-game so that the graphic card is producing less frames under load. Capping fps would be easier though imo.

What's your cpu temps like while playing?
Thank you for replying I really just want to get constant 144 fps will upgrading to ryzen 2600 and having my rx 580 do that?

Thank you for replying I really just want to get constant 144 fps will upgrading to ryzen 2600 and having my rx 580 do that?
That would very likely fix the problem since you are CPU bound apparently. If you had a i7 6700k, you likely wouldn't be having any issues. The problem with a skylake or kabylake i7 is they cost $160-250 used depending on the model and they can be over $300 new. Buying Ryzen a 5 2600 for $120 and a new board for around $90-110 would be a far better option. You can reuse your slow ram, but you might want a DDR4 3200 CL16 2x8GB kit for around $65-80.

Last edited: