[SOLVED] i5-6600k to i7-8700, computer starts up for just a second then turns off.

Feb 23, 2019
So just yesterday, I got an i7, I took my i5 out of my computer, put in the i7, and when I tested it to see of it would turn on, my fans, and led would only turn on for just a second, then turn off. So to see if i didn't accidentally get any thermal paste in the socket, I clean off the cpu, check the socket it self, and try again--but same thing. Now i was scared that my computer was toast, so i put my old i5 back in, and it works completely fine.
I read around only, and I got 2 solutions.
1.Get bigger power supply
2.update bios

I got a better, upgraded from 750w to 850 w. But after i put the i7 in with the power supply, same thing happens.
The i5 works fine as I'm using my PC to make this post.

So all that is left is to update my bios.
But before i do that daunting task, i want to know if it could be anything else I'm not seeing.

here are my specs.

mobo: msi z170A gaming pro carbon
gpu: msi rx480
cpu: i5 6600k
ram; 16gb ddr4 pny anarchy
psu: 850w corsair

Solution
Additional info

300series motherboards ie; z370 can run 9th gen cpus with a bios update if you decide on it in future. Or z390 that'll run both 8&9th gen out of the box.
Feb 23, 2019

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Always need to check things like that if you're not fully up to date on Intel and their goofy sockets. There's no actual reason it can't run it other than Intel wants to sell more chipsets as the pin layout is identical, just won't work

Feb 23, 2019
Always need to check things like that if you're not fully up to date on Intel and their goofy sockets. There's no actual reason it can't run it other than Intel wants to sell more chipsets as the pin layout is identical, just won't work

Sometimes it be like that. Its time for an upgrade though.