I5 6600k Vcore

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
My i5 6600k is at 4.0 on all core currently at 1.175volt i played for the first times after i got a evga gtx 1070 sc (stock) project cars in 3440x1440 100hz (use to have a gtx 1060 6gb)

My fps in some tracks or part of the track where around 90-100 but peaked at some tracks around 140fps and 80% cpu usage so i guess i need a a bit more ghz,power from my cpu

I'm running noctua nh-d15 at rpm where it's silent more or less all the time and want to keep vcore,rpm low, i think mabye 4.2 ghz

I couldn't fine any answer to what vcore at different ghz other then some have had there i7 6700k at these settings

vcore

vcore

To get an idea what is the sweet spot (vcore) for the cpu at differencet ghz lets say 4.0,4.2,4.4 and 4.6ghz

Getting 4.0GHz at 1.175 is pretty good, that's barely above the stock voltage. As for higher clockspeeds, it's going to vary depending on your chip. For mine to keep 4.4GHz stable I have to run it at 1.285V. Most 6600ks will probably have to go up closer to 1.4V to keep 4.6GHz stable, though you might have better luck since you seem to be getting 4GHz running fine at barely higher than stock voltage. Generally speaking it might be best to keep your voltage at 1.35V or lower for long term usage as 1.4 is pushing it to about the maximum safe limit. You'll have to do some experimenting to see how far you can get at specific voltages and see how high you want to push your voltage for long term use.

HenriqueHff

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Here in auto vcore, when i running prime95, and run the Small FFTs, the vcore descends from 1.212v to 1.152v, max temps 66°C with 3mins, and windows don't crash, i open programs, and works pretty good, without lag, i should leave this configuration or change the vcore to fixed?

Auto voltage is okay for stock speed or very minor overclocks. If you're pushing a higher overclock eg. more than 4GHz, you should go with a manual voltage as automatic mode can lead to severe overvolting when doing a high overclock., potentially causing damage or at the very least temperatures higher than they need to be.

Might want to do some more stress testing to make sure it's stable, but if you're happy with 4.2GHz and it remains stable, then you're in pretty good shape and do have plenty of headroom if you want to go higher.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012

I think it get's a bit to hot at 4.5 ghz, i want to keep my noctua nh-d15 at low rpm, have a define r case

HenriqueHff

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

I overclocked my i5 6600k to 4.2ghz, i was running vcore at 1.250v, but i guess this is too much, so i decided to see what the automatic mode gives, what's happening to me is a vdroop? i'ts bad? I am undecided about which vcore I will put, when i running aida64 with vcore in 1,188 the system does not crash (vcore is defined by automatic)

1.188 is maybe only a little above the stock voltage, it's not a bad voltage and if you're stable at 4.2GHz, that's good. However, the CPU will request higher voltages as it is clocked higher, so you have to watch what the actual Vcore is while stress testing. Ignore the VID value, that is what the CPU requests, but isn't necessarily given depending on how you have things setup. Auto tends to follow the VID value requests. 1.35V or under is okay, though at 4.2GHz you should be stable well below that unless you really lost out on the silicon lottery.

HenriqueHff

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

But i don't know what is the stock i5 6600k vcore, i already put the vcore in 1.250 at 4.2ghz, what your configuration? what yours vcore?

Stock voltage is 1.165V. I run my 6600k at 4.4GHz at 1.285. Whether you'll need more or less voltage to achieve that is going to depend on your CPU, there are variations in the manufacturing process which means some chips overclock better than others.

HenriqueHff

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

So the less voltage I put, and stay stable, it's better? So i will try put an fixed voltage something between 1.155v - 1.190v, and how many hours i need run system stability? what i should use? thanks

The lower the voltage that is stable the better. As for stress testing, use something like Prime95 Version 26.6 or OCCT. Later versions of Prime cause insane temperatures due to use of AVX instructions. Some people recommend running the test for 24 hours, but generally speaking if your system remains stable and isn't overheating after about 3 hours, you're probably good to go.

HenriqueHff

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I put into de bios the vcore 1.190v, but the programs show the vcore is 1.140v most of the time, i always had doubts about this value, because, how, how, the cpu at overclocked to 4.2ghz consumes any less voltage than stock voltage... i think i have an legendary good overclocked i5 6600k, if i test one program of benchmark and he show-me one value, and i put more voltage, and the benchmark show-me best result, i have problems with voltage?