i5 6600k vs 8600k for 4k gaming?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I'm at the time of upgrading. I play all my games at 4k with a 1080ti and a i5 6600k 4.5ghz. So far it performs very well. I couldn't find any benchmarks showing a comparison between the 6600k/7600k vs the 8600k at 4k. Every benchmark always showed 1080p. Can anyone show me any benchmarks between the two cpus at 4k?

Solution
At 4K you're going to be GPU bound 99% of the time, so there would be next to no difference between those two CPUs. The reason CPU reviews always benchmark at lower resolutions like 1080p is that differences in gaming performance between any mainstream or higher CPUs from the last couple years doesn't show up until you get to 100+ FPS (which basically isn't possible at 4K with today's graphics tech).

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
hmm interesting. Thanks for the graphs. I'm going to look at it this way though. All those graphs show it outperforming my current hyper212x which is currently handling my overclock just fine. I lasted the whole summer over here with this cpu with no issues. Any temperature decrease would be welcomed. I saw some pretty impressive reviews when looking at it on newegg as well. I know running cpus hotter decreases their lifetime but I would be upgrading way before it dies out. I also would be upgrading my cpu cooler as well after. Looking at the titan v release, it seems pricing will be higher for volta so I want to save as much as possible for the 1180ti. Video cards are more expensive here than in the states. 100$ more actually...I have no idea why especially since gigabyte, msi and asus are all Taiwanese but it's always been like that. I bought my current card (1080ti gigabyte aorus xtreme) for 900$ when it costs only a little over 800$ in the states.
Anyways, after I get the 1180ti, I will try to sell my current 1080ti and look into a cpu upgrade at that time. Most likely 9th generation.

So sorry about all this. My decision has been mostly altered by the Titan v release which happened after I started this topic. Seems volta is coming sooner than I expected. It seems we all can also agree that a GPU upgrade would be more beneficial for me since I only game in 4k and play vr. If at any time my cpu starts to hold me back while waiting for volta, I will upgrade but for now saving for volta seems to be the best option. I'll try to look into coolers in that price range that perform better as well for now. Thanks again.

Update: after googling the other coolers on the charts you sent me, I am convinced even more. It comes very close to coolers that are much more bulkier or more expensive. There's a 1'c difference between this and the NH-U12S which almost costs twice as much. Only a 5'c difference between this and the NH-D15 which costs over twice as much (115$ vs 45$) and also is twice the size. Msi seems to be a clear winner in price, size and performance unless I am missing something.

Hey man, all that matters is that YOU have confidence in it. It matters not what I think. TBH, I don't much care for MSI at ALL, as a company, so it's hard for me to like one of their coolers as well. Too many issues in the past with repeatedly failing MSI hardware. I just don't do them at all anymore, except occasionally they have a graphics card that's worthwhile or something is desired by a client I'm assembling a system for. Other than that, I don't really actively avoid them, but I don't go out of the way to use their products either.

Seems as though you're right and it's substantially better than the 212 EVO so if you like it, I like it. :)

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Thanks. I'm trying to find one at the moment since it's out of stock nearby. I'll probably end up getting it online. I saw they had the cooler master masterair MA610P which looks nice as far as design but seems like wouldn't perform much better from what I could find online.

Did some more searching online and seeing that maybe it's better by a little.

I wouldn't waste your money on something that only performs "better by a little". You're much better off having a little patience, whether that means waiting for what you actually want to return to being in stock OR saving a while longer to get a better part. Otherwise, you're just wasting your own time and money. Just my 2 cents.

Truthfully, if you want a high quality part with really good performance, you'd be looking at Noctua, Cryorig, Phanteks, Thermalright (NOT Thermaltake), Scythe or Even Be Quiet coolers, although I feel the Be Quiet coolers need the fans replaced with Noctua fans to be both quiet AND perform well. Be Quiet fans are low noise, but they seriously underperform in most testing.

Those are the cooler manufacturers that have consistently shown that their products excel in rigorous testing and long term quality. If other manufacturers had products in the same conversation, they'd be known to me. Certainly if MSI did, as they have a huge presence in the US, but not for coolers. And there is a good reason for that.

Even if you have to import a good cooler, or look around a bit more, might be worth your time to do so, but again, totally up to you. You are the one that has to live with the decision and if you can, then it's fine.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
The cryorig h7 quad lumi can be found here online for about the same price as the msi. From the reviews I saw though it seemed as if the msi outperformed it by 2c. Which seems kind of odd considering how bulky it is.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I ended up ordering the core frozr l. Like I said, I'm not looking for the best cooler, just something better that's cheap to hold me over while I save for Volta. I get what you said about msi, I had some bad experiences with msi gpus so I switched to gigabyte. I still like to give msi a chance because I have a friend who works for msi and I get a lot of free stuff from them. I also didn't see anything that performs better at that price point. If you would like, I can post my results after getting it. My current 212x runs as high as 86c on occt. Would be cool if I could get it into the 70s.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I'll be picking up my cooler later today. I'll share my results later compared to the hyper 212x. Is it okay to use the thermal paste that comes with the cooler or should I buy another? With my hyper 212x, I just used the included thermal paste.

I am unfamiliar with the thermal paste supplied with MSI coolers, however, the paste included with most any half decent unit is fine. If you are in doubt, and if you still have paste from the 212 EVO that is not hardened, that would be fine too. I think it likely that the MSI paste is ok, but if you want to look at some reviews of it I'm sure there are likely some out there.

Typically, I like to use Arctic Silver 5, Cryorig Cryopaste, Noctua NT-H1 or Phanteks PH-NDC.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I finally got around to installing the cooler. First impression after starting it up was that not only does it look a lot better than my hyper 212x (I personally like how it looks lit up in my case with my other rgb lights), it was a heck of a lot quieter. I can barely hear the thing. My hyper 212x was like a car engine. Max temp was 74C on occt. Overall not bad compared to my 86C with the hyper 212.
I'm not sure why this doesn't show up on more review sites because it's actually a very impressive cooler for its price and size. I used the paste that came with the cooler too.

I don't think so. I've never seen ANY results, on ANY heatsink model, where there was more than a 1°C difference created by adding a second fan UNLESS it was a dual stack heatsink like the NH-D15 and a few others that come with two fin stacks and two fans. Even on those those, adding a third fan did not increase cooling performance by more than maybe 1°C. One degree is not worth the additional investment as far as I'm concerned.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Okay that's what I thought. I wasn't planning on buying a new fan. Just to put one of my fans from the hyper 212x on the back since it's just sitting around. If it's not worth it though I wouldn't bother. Thanks again.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Okay so I ended up eventually going push pull today just for the heck of it. I had two fans lying around collecting dust so I figured why not (even if it makes almost no difference). Everything is working as it was before but my cinebench has taken a dip for some reason. Went from 740cb to 733cb. Don't think that's related.

If your secondary fan has lower specs than your push fan, it will actually cause MUCH worse temps than with a single, lower capability fan installed, because it's blocking the air path. While that alone might not instantly show issues, if you cannot be certain that the second fan has a higher CFM capability than the fan in push orientation, it should not be used.

The only exception to this would be the use of two fans, with the fan profile of the second fan being independently controllable from the push fan AND being run at a higher RPM fan curve. That will help mitigate the issue somewhat however at full speed there will still be a restriction as the second fan will still be a restriction to the air flow of the first fan. Only with a second fan that is more capable than the first fan can push pull be effective and even then the benefit is either nonexistent or extremely minimal.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I didn't think to check that. I'm using the original fan that came with the hyper 212x(not evo if that matters). I have them both plugged into the same fan input on the motherboard with a Y connector. I'm going check both fans capacity and get back to you. Thanks.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
The fan I put on the back is the cooler master A12025-20CB-4BP-F1 from the hyper 212x.
It's rated at 600-2000rpm +/- 10% and the fan on the front (msi) is rated at 500-1800 +/-15%.
It seems like pretty much the same and maybe the secondary is a little better.

Fan blade and frame design can account for major differences, along with RPM, so just because one fan runs 200rpm faster than another doesn't necessarily mean that it moves more air. I'd be more focused on what each fan moves at specific RPMs and at maximum RPMs, since that's what will largely determine which presents the greatest restriction. Static pressure is also a factor though, because obviously a fan with higher static pressure can push more air through a finstack, and if that is the case then whatever is on the the other side better be able to avoid restricting that airflow. If there is a fan on both sides with equal specifications then it usually works out fine because the pull side fan has no restrictions to airflow while the push side fan is going to be at least slightly reduced as far as how much air it can actually move.

So either identical fans on each side or a fan on the pull side that clearly is more capable so it doesn't present an added restriction. The 212X isn't a highly long lasting fan, but it's a pretty damn capable one for a 120mm, while it does work. 84CFM is pretty good for a 120mm fan. I'd say that setup ought to be ok but you might want to compare temps doing the exact same test with each on the front and none on the back versus both fans on in different positions to really see which configuration shines the most. Sometimes dual fan setups actually make thermals worse.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Thanks. I ran a 30 minute occt and my temps seemed the same and might have lowered by one degree. Since it doesn't seem to be negatively effecting anything I guess I'll leave it on. I could try disconnecting it and see if my cinebench changes but I doubt this has anything to do with it. Thanks for the help.