i5 6600k vs 8600k for 4k gaming?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I'm at the time of upgrading. I play all my games at 4k with a 1080ti and a i5 6600k 4.5ghz. So far it performs very well. I couldn't find any benchmarks showing a comparison between the 6600k/7600k vs the 8600k at 4k. Every benchmark always showed 1080p. Can anyone show me any benchmarks between the two cpus at 4k?

Solution
At 4K you're going to be GPU bound 99% of the time, so there would be next to no difference between those two CPUs. The reason CPU reviews always benchmark at lower resolutions like 1080p is that differences in gaming performance between any mainstream or higher CPUs from the last couple years doesn't show up until you get to 100+ FPS (which basically isn't possible at 4K with today's graphics tech).
Upgrading won't do any good regardless of whether the performance hit is bigger or smaller than that. It apparently affects ALL AMD, Intel and ARM processors, so they are ALL going to see a performance hit when Microsoft releases patches for it. That includes the Coffee lake and Ryzen products. Both AMD and Intel are going to have to go back to the drawing board on the CPU architectures and that includes the ones currently in the pipeline, so you can expect there will likely not be any new releases for a while until they are able to solve this at the hardware level.

Best bet would just be to NOT allow the patch to be installed, since nobody with the ability to execute the required vulnerability is going to care about accessing the average persons system anyhow, they'll be trying to access the systems of big corporations, and wait until unaffected skus are released before pulling the trigger on an upgrade.

That probably means waiting quite a while though, because they can't just revise these CPU architectures overnight. I expect that we won't see this fixed at the hardware level for at least six months to a year, minimum.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Yes but theoretically, if the loss is 30% performance, upgrading to a cpu that is 30% or more better performing would be one way to compensate for this. Good news is I'm seeing reports of people installing these updates and having benchmarks pretty much unchanged. I'm away from my pc so I can't currently access the performance impact.

That's only for one of the vulnerabilities, there are apparently two, and one is much worse than the other but I'm reading that there is NO patch for it, that it may not BE patchable and that this is a very sad day because without new hardware that hasn't been released yet or VERY old hardware, it may be a death stroke for every CPU that's been manufactured in the last ten years.

https://spectreattack.com/

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I've raised my max cache ratio to 42 and went up another 100mhz to 4.6ghz at 1.39v mainly to lessen the incoming performance loss. I have to say either I'm experiencing some major placebo or games like the rise of the tomb raider feel a lot smoother. Maybe it's the extra voltage?

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I have to say the whole entire situation really sucks mainly for the Intel consumer. It's to my understanding that Ryzen, although affected, isn't getting as much as a performance drop due to the vulnerabilities hitting it only on a software level. Might be time to think about going back to AMD for me.

Nope. Both AMD and Intel are taking big hits from this. The only real "good" on AMD is that they are not affected by Meltdown, only Spectre, but on both types of systems, due to having to disable branch prediction in some form or another, they are both taking hits on CPU performance and more importantly they are taking big hits after the BIOS microcode updates on PCEe NVME M.2 and SATA SSD performance. Some benchmarks are showing up to a 40% hit in PCIe M.2 and SSD performance.

This is, by far, not settled, sorted or "fixed" by a long shot, and I suspect that by the end of it all this will have been the single largest sh$% storm to have ever hit the computing scene and industry since the advent of computer systems. I suspect it's going to take years to get back to where we were before all this happened.

I would not be surprised to see a change of atmosphere where a lot of gamers begin showing demand for a return to single player offline modes once the realize how poor performance becomes when the servers have all been updated and are laggy and slow as hell. At least playing in single player offline mode you could use a system that didn't require the firmware and OS patches, plus would have no need to access the game servers for anything. Or maybe they'll work it all out. Doesn't look that way right now though. At least, not in a good, acceptable way.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
According to AMD it seems they are affected less than Intel.
There was a benchmark done on guru3d with an updated bios and the fix from Microsoft. Performance loss wasn't enough to really care about. So there is good news. Honestly though I'm not going to bother updating my bios and I've already installed the patch from Microsoft. This exploit has been around for years and my PC has been fine. If in the end people aren't complaining about performance, I may update.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I've done some further research and it seems like nothing to worry about for both sides. Honestly it's the press working it up to be something much more than it really is. Servers might be effected but regular home users wouldn't see any difference. Kinda reminds me of y2k.

Yeah, I doubt that. We happen to have some very astute CPU engineers as well as a member who is currently in training for one of the computer branches of the NSA, here, and they've shown that the problems are very real and that unlike with some past vulnerabilities, such as the Intel management engine bug, these are probably not being overblown. Again, I suppose time will tell.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I'm not saying the problems aren't real. Just saying it's not that big of a deal for us. Just that the media has blown it out of proportion. Like for example how everyone is freaking out about 30% drops in performance. It's easy to tell the media is doing this when they use words like "up to", "may", "could" or "possibly". The patches are already available. I've installed them and so have many others. Turns out just like Intel stated, no noticeable difference should be seen to home users. Unless you are running web based servers or virtual machines, you shouldn't experience really any noticeable performance drop. Only in very specific situations (ones that the average user/gamer would never be doing) could that 30% drop actually occur. I've seen no noticeable performance drop on my system. I say we can all relax and move on. It's not time to throw our cpus out the window.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Forgot to mention the funny part is after all these updates, I've seen a boost in cpu performance. Wasn't expecting that. There were quite a few updates so I'm not sure which one did it.