I5 6600k vs I7 6700k (for gaming only, a deal where i7 costs only 50 eur more)

Naycon

Reputable
Aug 1, 2016
Now I know that I7 6700k is only marginally better than i5 6600k for gaming purposes but I found a deal and the I7 6700k only costs 50 Eur more than the i5, so was just wondering is that worth it at this price point? Would I also have to change my motherboard pick for the build (asus z170-k) for i guess asus z170 pro gaming? And no I don't plan to go SLI any time soon really.

Solution
If I had to choice I would get the i7 depending on only 1 factor would I have to downgrade my video card if I spent the extra money on the i7 over the i5.
If you can spend the extra money then get the i7 it will help some in a few games and might even help more in games being released over the next few years. For streaming and editing it is for sure what to buy.
The Z170 K will work with either processor.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If I had to choice I would get the i7 depending on only 1 factor would I have to downgrade my video card if I spent the extra money on the i7 over the i5.
If you can spend the extra money then get the i7 it will help some in a few games and might even help more in games being released over the next few years. For streaming and editing it is for sure what to buy.
The Z170 K will work with either processor.

Solution

Naycon

Reputable
Aug 1, 2016

So motherboard is fine? I do plan to OC both cpu and gpu (gtx 1070) if that matters and no if I do get the i7 the gpu won't be downgraded so I guess if the rest is fine, I'll probably get that one. Thanks.

It used to be that an i7 gave little gains over an i5 for gaming, that has been changing especially if you want to go high fps (120/144Hz monitor) or want to play BF1 which is ridiculously CPU heavy and benefits even at 60fps/Hz. A 1070 can use the extra power of an i7 in the right circumstances.

ethanjrsikes

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

i'm gonna go with the 1080 and 6600k. i will overclock the i5 to 4.6 ghz with a h100 cooler for some extra juice but since i only edit videos occasionally and mostly game i think its a good match