Question I5 7300HQ running only at 40%

Mar 23, 2020
Good evening

I have a gaming laptop that I bought some time ago but it does not run csgo properly anymore. At some weird moments it does medium sized spikes in fps which makes the game quite unplayable if there is a battle I have to take and it just lags out. So I've ran some tests while I played CSGO and yesterday found out that my CPU temp was quite high- 85 degrees max(averaging at 80) but CPU usage was only 40%. I cleaned my laptop today and tried undervolting, resulting in somewhat better results in temperatures as now CPU went only to max 75(average was 70 degrees) but what I didn't get was the boost in performance. Still quite random spikes and drops here and there. At 1st I thought it might have been GPU issue but it is standing at 55-60 degrees and usage of GPU was only literally 30% when I played today. So it appears something is wrong with my processor- it is not working at its fullest but produces quite some heat. This being said, my laptop fan doesn't run very fast. Some time ago when I went to repair my laptop for bluescreening issue, they did some magic and fixed my issue but I can't boost my fan speed anymore to cool my CPU better. It isn't working half as fast as it used to. So... I make a little summary of my issue.

1. My I5 7300HQ that I undervolted today runs literally 40-45% (it has run on such low % all the time) while temp is sitting at around 70 degrees which makes CS rather unplayable.
  2. My GPU runs similarily on low load, but sometimes very rarely afterburner tells me it has also GPU1 voltage limit instead of idle. Should I be concerned about this GPU voltage limit?
GPU: Geforce GTX 1050.
Laptop: Asus GL533VD

Thanks in advance.

CPU temp under gaming for a gaming computer at 80, 85 is normal. Past 90 is getting too high.

Did the FPS issue start to happen after you undervolted the CPU?

% of CPU and video card use in a game is not really a good sign there is an issue. Did the issue happen after a Windows update maybe?

Mar 23, 2020
CPU temp under gaming for a gaming computer at 80, 85 is normal. Past 90 is getting too high.

Did the FPS issue start to happen after you undervolted the CPU?

% of CPU and video card use in a game is not really a good sign there is an issue. Did the issue happen after a Windows update maybe?
I cant really say whether it was only because of windows update. Of course it might be a factor. FPS issue has been worrying me for a while, it was long before I undervolted ;)

TRENDING THREADS