i5-750 Overheating at Idle 75.5℃

POPCORNS 1068

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I have an old i5-750, along with a ph755-m mobo, running on stock cooler.

I recently wiped all drives, so there is no Operating system installed.

When I entered the Hardware Monitor menu in the bios, it shows my cpu‘s temp is at 45℃, then it went from 45 to 75.5 in a minute. So I took out the cooler and re-applied thermal paste (hy410, good enough for no overclockings I guess?), then attached it back. And it is still the same! The cooler doesn't look like its broken or something and I don't overclock. What exactly is going on?PLEASE HELP!

Solution

If it does what ya need, then why upgrade? Most people don't need to be on the bleeding edge so several generations can go by without the need for an upgrade. Unless you have a specific need for professional software or gaming, most people wouldn't notice the difference between your i5-750 and an i5-6700 so why spend the time and money on an upgrade.

Heffdan

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Are you sure the cooler is seating properly? Can you see the thermal paste being "squished"?

Had an old i7-920. Those first gen i series chips had absolute crap stock coolers, mine never really seated correctly. If you're seating it correctly, and upon removal of the cooler you can see that the thermal compound is distributing correctly, and you're still getting high temps then I'd say pick up an aftermarket cooler and make your life easier. If your case has enough room for a tower cooler, a Cryorig H7 will fit your socket type. Temps will go down, noise will go down and life will again be good.

Well first, are you applying the compound correctly? It may sound like a somewhat insulting question but a lot of people mess that step up and it can cause problems.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600.html

When you pull the cooler off, can you see an even distribution of thermal compound on the chip?

If the fan clean of dust and the fan spins freely? Sometimes dust and age will gum up the bearings on a fan. If its not spinning well, it cant cool well.

Are you stuck with stock? If so why? If its case constraints there are non tower coolers out there that are good. If its cost, coolers run about $30us for a decent aftermarket.

Not always of course, bearings eventually go bad in all things. If you're stuck with a stock cooler, well then you can only work with what you have. The problem is, if your cooler is working at the top of its game (everything is setup correctly) but its not cooling well enough, then its the part thats the problem and not what you're doing with it. You can try doing a thinner layer of compound in case you're putting too much on and its acting as an insulator. You can try increasing the airflow over the CPU. Depending on your case, you may have the option of a fan pulling more air in from the side of the case with a large case fan on the case side. If not, some people just take the side panel off, get a box fan on the side of the case and call it a day.

And something just occurred to me that should have come up in the very beginning. You're doing this all through BIOS right? That's not always an accurate measurement tool. Load an OS on the computer, load up a monitoring tool (HWMonitor should be fine) and see where you're temps are at when you're actually inside of an OS.

If it does what ya need, then why upgrade? Most people don't need to be on the bleeding edge so several generations can go by without the need for an upgrade. Unless you have a specific need for professional software or gaming, most people wouldn't notice the difference between your i5-750 and an i5-6700 so why spend the time and money on an upgrade.

Solution