I5 750 system suggestions

Nbird

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am hoping to build the following system ASAP in Australia. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will mainly be using this system for work on graphics and video editing, movies and surfing the net and occasionally play a game or two. This is my first computer upgrade for some years from a Pentium 4 with 2gb RAM which was starting to get very sluggish. So anything will be a big upgrade from this.

Current specs I have come up with:

Processor - Intel Core i5-750

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D LE

Video Card - Gigabyte 1GB Radeon ATI 5750

Memory - 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory (G.Skill Ripjaw) 2x 4gb Kits

Hard Disk - 1TB SATA 7200rpm SEAGATE / Western Digital 

ATX Case - To be decided. Considering Antec 300 or 900? Any suggestions?

Power Supply -  Antec Earthwatts 750

Keyboard / Mouse - To be decided

Operating System - Windows 7 PRO 64bit

Thanks,

Nathan

Nbird

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Some more details that may helpful with suggestions.

Build / Buy Date: ASAP I am struggling to get an i5 750 processor. No one has stock.

Aim: My aim is build a good system that will cope great with video editing, movies, graphics rendering CAD for a reasonable budget. I would like to keep it under a budget of $1200 Australian Dollars.

Some things I am not sure about:

-          Is the graphics card an over kill? I would like to be able to have two monitors in the future.
-          Is the powder supply to big for what I need?
-          I want a case that has great airflow but is nice and quiet, not to bling. A couple LED would be fine.
o        USB connections at the front would be great

Parts I can use from my old computer are:

-          1 x 1TB External Hard Drive 7200
-          1 x 250GB WD Caviar 7200 Hard drive
-          1 x 160GB WD Caviar 7200 Hard drive
-          20” Monitor Proview
-          1x DVD-RW 16x
-          Speakers Logitech 5.1

Current Costs: Source MSY Computer AUSTRALIA

Processor                     - Intel Core i5-750                                   $225
Motherboard                  - Asus P7P55D LE                                 $138
Video Card                    - Gigabyte 1GB Radeon ATI 5750            $163
Memory                                    - 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory  (G.Skill Ripjaw)                     $290
Hard Disk                      - 1TB SATA 7200rpm SEAGATE / Western Digitial           $95
ATX Case                      - Antec 300                   $75
Power Supply                - Antec Earthwatts 750   $139
Keyboard / Mouse          - I would like a cord keyboard and mouse. Sick of replacing batteries.
Operating System          - Windows 7 PRO 64bit  $154

Approximate Total Cost: $1300.00.

Thanks guys,

Nathan

Well, if you ever game and do some CAD/Rendering, the 5750 is the lowest I'd recommend.

I like the Antec 300. It is well thought out, though it is not huge. Biggest plus is that it is cheap. If you can find the Illusion version, that comes with front (LED) fans. I'm not saying the LED's are a huge plus, but for a few $ over the stock 300 it is a great deal for 2 120mm fans. Also, on the lowest fan speed (which gives excellent cooling) the case is nearly silent!

Power supply is certainly excessive (though no harm in that). Could drop that to an Antec/Corsair/Seasonic/OCZ in the 550 to 600W range no problem (though for OCZ maybe 600W).

TRENDING THREADS