Question i5 7500 Fortnite lag

Jul 17, 2020
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone can help. I get really bad FPS and microstuttering playing fortnite, often being unplayable when there are a lot of players on the screen. This typically happens in the lobby (just before you jump out of the bus) for example, where FPS dips to less than 45 usually. Suprisingly, the descent out of the bus is usually smooth. I use "V-sync" because my monitor is 60 hz, and otherwise I get really annoying screen tearing.

Specs are:

CPU: i5-7500 4c/4t
RAM: 8GB patriot DDR4 (2x4gb dual channel)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 3gb
Drives: 500gb toshiba (taken from prebuilt) and Kingston 256gb SSD with windows 10 pro install
PSU: VS 550 corsair
Case NZXT S340 elite

This is a photo of my PC here:
https://prnt.sc/tjdw7n

My experience used to be very smooth, however a few weeks ago I started experimenting with the graphics settings on fortnite, the screen went black for like 30 seconds, then came back on. Since then, I cannot get playable rates at all. I've also noticed that my CPU is constantly pinned at 100%. Now I know its not the best CPU, but on Apex Legends the CPU use doesn't exceed 80%, and that title is MUCH more demanding. GPU use on fornite is normal and RAM use is 78%. Also get this annoying glitch where I pick up a weapon, yet only the backgroud of it shows in the hotbar. ie picking up a "legendary" gun will show an orange box in the hotbar with no gun there. This is fixed by toggling vsync or waiting until it appears.

What I've tried
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling GPU driver
  • Messing with ingame settings
  • Enabling/Disabling "Fast" and "Apdative" sync in nvidia control panel
-Windows optimisations. ie sfc /scannow
-Virus scans with avast and MBAM (no issues).

I really don't want to have to reinstall windows and I've got a ton of programs on the SSD like IDE's and such. I also don't want to have to reinstall Fortnite as its about 80gb now. Even with 50mbps download speed that will still take hours and hours for something that may not work at all. Is there a problem with my setup, or is fortnite just that poorly optimised?

Alas, the i5-7500 is no powerhouse, nor is the 3 GB variant of the GTX1060....

Having only 8 GB of RAM will not help in gaming either, depending on which other background applications might be running. (My own Win10 sits at 5.9-6.0 GB of RAM used with just the browser open)

If the game was installed /running earlier with different hardware, and now you've changed things (CPU/mainboard or GPU), often things can go astray that a simple reinstall of the OS AND/or game might clear...