i5 7500 + GTX 1060 6gb + ssd 128gb +RGB or i5 7500 + GTX 1070 + HDD

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
so i can either get a i5 7500 with a GTX 1060 6gb with a ssd 128gb + HDD 1TB and RGB lighting or i can get a i5 7500 with a GTX 1070 with only a Hard drive of 1TB and no RGB lighting however it comes with red LED fans

Solution
There seems to be a lot of confusion about a lot of things here.

First, "the day of the i5 is done". The i5 7500 meets the recommended requirements of every game he mentioned (Overwatch, PUBG, LoL). The only game that there will be trouble is PUBG because it is optimized very poorly. I run a 7700k and 1080ti in sli and still get frame drops. The good news is the game is very popular and the developers will get it figured out. Steam hardware survey for July shows 43% use dual core CPU, 50% use quad core CPU, and less than 2% use more than 4 cores. Game developers don't develop games that most people don't have hardware to run. This is why VR has not done very well. The 7500 will be a good chip for a good while (in CPU time)...
Forget the rbg lighting. It does nothing to performance. Do you have the option of adding a SSD later?

I love SSDs as they are one of the single best performance upgrades someone can make to their computer. And they are relatively inexpensive and can be added easily.

But for gaming performance, a 1070 is far and away a better GPU. If you are gaming at 1080p, it will not be as big of a benefit. But as games get more demanding, it will be better for longer.

I would go with the 1070 and plan on adding a SSD later.

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Ok im going to get the 1070 i am going to be gaming on a 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor do you think it will work

Yes, definitely don't get the 1060 for a 1440p monitor. The 1070 was made to run on that monitor. Enjoy it.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
PLEASE for the love of god go for the 7600k even if you don't plan on overclocking. I would go for the first option. Though you can probably get the 1080 for a bit more the price of the 1070. RGB is great if you have the money for it. One important thing, what mobo and monitor are you going to use?

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Intel B250 chipset gaming motherboard

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Can you push for a z270 mobo?

GTX 1060 can't run 1080p on ultra. it's good for 1080p@60Hz but 144Hz is a no no unless you lower the in-game graphics settings. You won't get 144 fps in most AAA games that's for sure. For ultra settings, you need a GTX 1080 for 1440p and GTX 1070 for 1080p and 1080Ti/TITAN X PASCAL for 4k.
HERE's an example. Note this is at 1080p. You can imagine how it runs at 1440p

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

cpu has no correlation with refresh rate

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

There is one problem with this. where I live they dont have any 1080p g-sync monitors and I am not planning on playing triple A games on ultra and my main intrests are in CSGO, overwatch and PUBG

Haha! They are trying to spend all of your money. Your question reads like you are buying a prebuilt system. If you are and it is in your budget, then get the 1070.

I don't know your budget, but if I were building a rig and money was a factor, then I would go with the Ryzen 1600. It is unlocked and the mobo are cheaper than a Z270. You will need faster RAM, but in the end, it would be around the same price as a 7600k and just a little more expensive than a 7500.

However, for a gaming rig, the CPU is not nearly as important as a GPU. Do not upgrade to a different CPU and downgrade to a different GPU. That would be a mistake. You are gaming at 1440p, when you game at higher resolution it forces the GPU to work harder and the CPU not to work as hard. Therefore the performance difference in chips gets smaller.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
There is one problem with this. where I live they dont have any 1080p g-sync monitors and I am not planning on playing triple A games on ultra and my main intrests are in CSGO, overwatch and PUBG

PUBG you'll not get 70+ frames. Others like LoL and Overwatch yes. You don't need G-Sync if your monitor is 100Hz+ for a GTX 1060. Your GPU simply won't reach those frames so G-Sync is useless. Honestly I would buy a 1920x1080@60Hz with a curved screen and stick with the 1060.

If there was a badge awarded for being wrong you would just have won it.
Cpu has everything to do with refresh rate & fps , arguably more so than the gpu.
If youre gpu bound on fps you at least have the opportunity to drop graphics settings to gain more fps.
If you're cpu bound thats it,you're done,there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

An i5 7500 is locked,its a quad,its nowhere near good enough to push a 100htz+screen properly in current AAA titles.
That said neither are the ryzen's BUT theyll do a damn sight better job than any locked i5 cpu.
At 3.8ghz they match or surpass a stock 7600k meaning youll be psuhing around the 100-120 fps mark.

OP should be looking at a ryzen 1600,a 1070 & a 1440p 75htz monitor.
B350 boards are as cheap or cheaper than their intel counterparts & every single one of them comes with rgb headers meaning you can buy a cheap 5050 rgb set of strips off ebay ,plug them straight in the board & control them from within windows.

The days of the i5 are just done & dusted imo, I dont see any sensible reason to even consider one.

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

if i have a monitor without g-sync then i will need vsync and from what i have heard it is horrible. another thing is if i were to have no sync then i would have to maintain 144fps for a whole game or else i would get screen tear. what you are forgetting is that the monitor i am getting comes with G-sync which range from 30-144 fps so screen tear wont be a problem.

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Where i live you can only find 60hz and 144hz monitors thats the problem and i have only found one g-sync compatible monitor which is in my budget and it happens to be the 144hz 1440p monitor. i was wondering are you able to turn down the refresh rate from a 144hz to 100hz?

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
if i have a monitor without g-sync then i will need vsync and from what i have heard it is horrible. another thing is if i were to have no sync then i would have to maintain 144fps for a whole game or else i would get screen tear. what you are forgetting is that the monitor i am getting comes with G-sync which range from 30-144 fps so screen tear wont be a problem.

Um oooookay.

G-sync is an improved version of V-sync optimized for Nvidia cards. All 10xx Nvidia cards have BOTH V-Sync and G-Sync. Here's how Sync tech works. Imagine you have a GTX 1080Ti and ur using it on a 1080p@60Hz. What Sync will do is limit you GPU from producing more than 60fps to match it with the refresh rate of your monitor. You can turn on V-Sync in game or/and in nvidia control panel regardless of what monitor you have.

Now in your case, you are going to use a GTX 1060 @1440p/144Hz. You will only be getting 50fps (80 tops on ow LoL) on average. Not even close to 144fps. So G-Sync will (almost) never be used since your GPU can't produce that many fps. I own a monitor running at 1440p@144Hz. It is paired with an OC'd GTX 1080. I get 144+ frames in almost all games. that's when G-Sync kicks in and limits my frames to 144fps, to avoid tearing. Hope that makes sense.

Nvidia cards have adaptive v-sync,& the 10 series also have fast-sync - both these are fairly decent option if you dont have a gsync screen.

Ive been using adaptive vsync for 3 years & for me it does a wonderful job.

Id still argue you shsould be getting a better cpu than the i5 7500 & sticking to a 1440p screen with a 75htz refresh rate.

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

i am going to be using a Gtx 1070 lol

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

i wish i could but i am getting a prebuilt which does not offer any better cpu. reason why i am not building is because where i live they do not offer so many parts

There seems to be a lot of confusion about a lot of things here.

First, "the day of the i5 is done". The i5 7500 meets the recommended requirements of every game he mentioned (Overwatch, PUBG, LoL). The only game that there will be trouble is PUBG because it is optimized very poorly. I run a 7700k and 1080ti in sli and still get frame drops. The good news is the game is very popular and the developers will get it figured out. Steam hardware survey for July shows 43% use dual core CPU, 50% use quad core CPU, and less than 2% use more than 4 cores. Game developers don't develop games that most people don't have hardware to run. This is why VR has not done very well. The 7500 will be a good chip for a good while (in CPU time). Will it be the best? No. Will it be good? Yes.

Second, will a 7600k, 1600, or a 7700k give better fps than the 7500? Yes, it will in the vast majority of games better processors will get you better fps. Will it be a significant difference in fps? No, pending on the chip you are comparing and the game you are playing, the average is around 10% difference when playing at 1440p resolution. For some CPU intensive games such as BF1, there will be a bigger difference in performance. But the games you listed, it will be negligible. How do I know this? I have a rig with a i5 6500 and a 1070 that I built for my son and it performs very well and I have played all of those games on it (although I am not a big LoL fan).

Third, How does gsync work? Gsync is awesome and you should go for it. You do not have to max out your monitor refresh rate to use gsync. In fact, when playing at high fps on a high hz monitor (144hz) screen tearing is less noticeable and gsync is not as valuable. Where gsync shines, it is at lower fps because it gives you the smooth gameplay. Vsync provides the same effect as gsync, but it increases imput lag. This would be an issue when playing FPS games like Overwatch.

How do I know this about gsync? I have 2 gsync monitors, both of them have hz counters displayed on the screen. This is not a FPS counter, this is part of them monitor (predator x34 and predator x32b) and it measures the hz. When gsync is enabled, it changes my monitor refresh rate is changed to match the fps of my GPU.

Solution

baperini

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Thank you for telling me this i am relatively new to the PC world and just want to be able to game with smooth frame rate and no tears. you mentioned that your son has the same rig as me. Does he get a lot of FPS when play Triple A games since it is a 1440p monitor instead of a 1080p