i5-7500 suddenly drops to 2% usage resulting in FPS loss

edward_elric64

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
My friend has recently had a problem with his computer, whenever playing a game it would run fine, using about 40% CPU, but all of a sudden plummeting to 2% usage resulting in massive FPS loss usually freezing the game. After looking at it through intel extreme tuning utility, it shows it jumping all the way up to 100% then going all the way down to 2%. Temp is not a problem, RAM is not a problem, GPU is not a problem, it’s strictly CPU. Nothing we have tried is working

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
Have you checked CPU temps under stress? What games are you running? For example, running CS:GO takes close to 100% CPU usage at times. Final Fantasy 15 also close to 100% CPU usage. If it's overheating, it could throttle back to save the CPU. You mentioned IBT. Have you guys run the stress test and check the temps? What software are you using to monitor temps? RealTemps? Internal temp sensor? What about the MOSFETS (VRM's)? How are they with heat? Any OC's on the system? Too much voltage to VRM will cause issues with CPU as well.

You can also check to see if the CPU fan is good (maybe dust?), lose cables and so on. I doubt it's the CPU as Intel CPU's are really good with their architecture (I dropped my CPU on the floor while standing, and it's still kicking to this day lol). Last thing would be a board issue, but also keep in mind that bad RAM also causes issues with the CPU. If you have parts lying around (i'm a geek and I have a ton, but that's me being a huge nerd) you can test.

Hope this helps!