[SOLVED] i5-7500, thinking about upgrading

Sep 24, 2021
Hello, since the GPU prices aren't getting lower soon. I've decided to think of upgrading my CPU and motherboard.

I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600X with a stock cooler [I'll change it later on if I would like to OC it].
And for a motherboard upgrade I was thinking about Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 seems very good for what it costs.

Also I thought I'd include prices for those parts: [I don't have a designated budget to spend, but something around the price of those two would be nice]
Ryzen 5 5600X - 1319 zł [~286€]
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 - 539 zł [~117€]

Finally the questions are:
  1. Is this even a good CPU? [from benchmarks it seems great]
  2. Is it really worth to upgrade? since after upgrading the CPU, my GPU will be the bottleneck [It is overclocked: +130 core clock, +550 memory clock]
  3. Will there be noticable improvement in games? [I play most of AAA single player games that come out, and some competetive games like Apex Legends, CS:GO, League of Legends]
Fps should higher in most games, since I have 3200 MHz ram on a motherboard that supports up to 2400 MHz.

My current pc:
  • CPU: i5-7500
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 6G
  • RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
  • Power supply: SilentiumPC Vero M1 600W (80 plus bronze)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3

Solution
Hello, since the GPU prices aren't getting lower soon. I've decided to think of upgrading my CPU and motherboard.

I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600X with a stock cooler [I'll change it later on if I would like to OC it].
And for a motherboard upgrade I was thinking about Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 seems very good for what it costs.

Also I thought I'd include prices for those parts: [I don't have a designated budget to spend, but something around the price of those two would be nice]

2. Is it really worth to upgrade? since after...

2. Is it really worth to upgrade? since after upgrading the CPU, my GPU will be the bottleneck [It is overclocked: +130 core clock, +550 memory clock]
  3. Will there be noticable improvement in games? [I play most of AAA single player games that come out, and some competetive games like Apex Legends, CS:GO, League of Legends]
Fps should higher in most games, since I have 3200 MHz ram on a motherboard that supports up to 2400 MHz.

My current pc:
  • CPU: i5-7500
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 6G
  • RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
  • Power supply: SilentiumPC Vero M1 600W (80 plus bronze)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3
  1. Yes, 5600x is excellent gaming processor, certainly good upgrade over i5.7600. No need to count on overclock, it can boost automatically.
  2. If any bottleneck it would be on GPU side but that much depends on resolution and frequency in games you play.
How much gain ? Don't know how they are working now.
???? Where did you see that MB supports only up to 2400MHz memory ??? According to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-V2-rev-10/sp#sp it supports up to 4400MHz with that CPU.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 24, 2021
???? Where did you see that MB supports only up to 2400MHz memory ??? According to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-V2-rev-10/sp#sp it supports up to 4400MHz with that CPU.
Sorry I should specify that I was talking about my current MB :p

1. If any bottleneck it would be on GPU side but that much depends on resolution and frequency in games you play.
I'll upgrade my monitor to 144 / 165 Hz, so I'll want to play with that refresh rate, and for resolution I don't plan to have anything over 1080p

Sep 24, 2021
Didn't wanted to open a new thread, so I'll just ask in this one since it is connected. Could someone tell me what front panel connectors this MB has? [Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2] in my case on front panel i have:
2x USB 2.0
2x USB 3.0
Fan control (3 steps)
mic and headphones

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
If gaming is your concern and you play game that requires less cores then Intel 11th gen is slightly better. Other than that 5600x is a beast. And ofc it's worth the upgrade. Actually it's right time to upgrade because next gen will come with ddr 5 afaik. With that comes early adopter's pricing. So 11th gen Intel or zen 3 AMD might see a rise in demand as well as price hike as 12th gen/zen 4 is already overpriced