[SOLVED] I5 7600K 100% usage in some games

Dec 22, 2019
I've got a factory clocked i5 7600k that in some games will run at high 90-100% cpu usage and cause lockups. Is this what I should be expecting from this cpu and modern games or am I missing something here?

Solution
I've got a factory clocked i5 7600k that in some games will run at high 90-100% cpu usage and cause lockups. Is this what I should be expecting from this cpu and modern games or am I missing something here?
The i5 7600k has good single core performance, but only 4 cores and 4 threads.

Many modern more demanding games prefer CPUs with more than 4 cores and 4 threads. With any decent graphics card, you will see high CPU usage and possibly stuttering and freezing with any 4 core 4 threads CPU such as the I5 7600k.

Your only real solution it to upgrade your processor. An onverclock may help, but it can't make up for the lack of threads. Without an upgrade you can bump up graphics settings to try to minimize the "bottleneck". This...
The i5 7600k has good single core performance, but only 4 cores and 4 threads.

Many modern more demanding games prefer CPUs with more than 4 cores and 4 threads. With any decent graphics card, you will see high CPU usage and possibly stuttering and freezing with any 4 core 4 threads CPU such as the I5 7600k.

Your only real solution it to upgrade your processor. An onverclock may help, but it can't make up for the lack of threads. Without an upgrade you can bump up graphics settings to try to minimize the "bottleneck". This wont help framerate, but may help to smooth out stutters.

Reactions: Banpo
Solution